Harvest Report

onealmck

I've been watching the thread in Iowa and waiting for someone in Kansas to start one. So here goes, harvest is progressing nicely in NE KS, at least before the storms this week. What are we hearing and seeing out there?

Just finished up today helping with harvest out here. He's not doing his milo until next week but Im about sick of bean dust! Harvested Saturday and till noon sunday, saw lots of quail, not many pheasants. But we didnt cut milo. Looks like I will only get 1 day to hunt. Thank god for Mondays off. I dont mind. Been hunting on this farmer since I was 21. This is my pay to play I guess.

Went back to check family land.. in north central kansas.. alot of milo and corn still in.. but alot of farmers started beans i saw and also saw a little corn being cut.. habitat looks great even saw birds on the side of the road..

I was out at Eckman's near Baldwin City yesterday, and Mike was grumbling about all the rain. Said they'd had 14 inches this month.

In other news, my dogs have forgotten how to hunt and I've forgotten how to shoot :mad:

I was out at Eckman's near Baldwin City yesterday, and Mike was grumbling about all the rain. Said they'd had 14 inches this month.

In other news, my dogs have forgotten how to hunt and I've forgotten how to shoot :mad:

I live just a few miles from there and he is correct. We have been pummelled by rain. Next time you are around there give me a shout. There is a place down the street to shoot skeet and clays at there and we can remember how to shoot again lol

Just heard our friends out west have started cutting their milo. Got their wheat in and could use a little shower to bring it up.

The reports I am getting from my friend cutting milo is they are seeing quite a few pheasants. He said they are seeing more quail then he has ever seen. The best tidbit was they saw the most pheasants and quail in my milo south of Dighton. The milo yields are as good as he has ever had.

Harvest nearing completion around Dodge. A few fields of late milo that likely will still be standing for the opener, other than that it will be all stubble.

Knock yourself out, mine is private and well posted and a neighbor watches it so I am not worried. Extra pressure will push more birds off WIHA and other ground to mine. South of Dighton also covers a pretty big area.

Very self serving attitude. May not affect you, but could affect others not as fortunate as you, who through years of efforts might have found a nice public spot or two.

Poor form.

Man Dighton is along way from anywhere. His comments could help the economy. Maybe take a little off the tax burden on the roads kilr is paying to maintain.Man I get sick of people acting like Wiha is there own private nirvana. I hope there is a half million people come into the state,it is what pays for the program. You people getting all bent is ridiculous. Give me better land, less pressure, blah, blah, blah.:)

Last edited:
Very self serving attitude. May not affect you, but could affect others not as fortunate as you, who through years of efforts might have found a nice public spot or two.

Poor form.

I said south of Dighton. That is big country out there, never once did I mention anything specific. Maybe I know the people who run the hotel and like to send them some business. The convenience store? Maybe I know several people with businesses in Dighton? I guess I don't see how giving what are true reports on what people are seeing has any effect on WIHA. BTW there are lot's of birds between Dodge and Dighton, lol.

Last edited:
Everybody enjoys reading live wild bird reports, rather or not the birds had a good hatch or a bad hatch, who got timely rains or who got hail. Insight into what is going on with the wild game birds, out there in the stormy wild world, is probably the main function of this forum.

There is nothing wrong with fair and accurate reports on the distribution of crop harvested and an accurate depiction of bird numbers that the farmers are seeing.

You can drive from the top of Kansas (near Wesley Center) south 320 miles to Enid Oklahoma (wild birds are also seen south of that point) and never leave good pheasant country. That's just a one line example.

Keep those reports coming.

Harvest nearing completion around Dodge. A few fields of late milo that likely will still be standing for the opener, other than that it will be all stubble.

Maynard, glad to see you chime in about the harvest. I will be touring the area in less than two weeks to get some idea of where to hunt for the opener. It should be a decent opener with most the crops out. Little Baggins II will be with me and I am looking forward to another great season. Hope to see you along the way this season.

They are cutting beans as if they're trying to beat a hurricane here in Harvey County. Lots of bean dust swirling in the air.

Some of the milo has been cut, but there's still a lot of uncut around here. One farmer said "there's lots of birds around." I'm hopeful.

Talked to a combine crew this past weekend while scouting some spots. Said they were seeing birds in places that they hadn't seen any in years. Good stuff.

When we were out scouting in Nemaha and Jackson county this past weekend, it seemed like the only thing left in the WIHA was some milo and lots and lots of beans.

Back