Gunsmith-Minneapolis area

jonnyB

Having trouble finding a reputable gunsmith - preferably in the western suburbs.

Perhaps others in my area could offer suggestions.

Thanks!

Not sure about in town, but if need a very skilled gunsmith I would look into one of these 3. Pat Laib in Spicer, Odenthaul (spelling) in Lakeville or Bob Severson at Joes Sporting goods in St. Paul. Although i'm not positive Bob is still there.

Each of these guys have excellent reputations.

Pat Laib did some trigger work on one of my guns and the work was first class. It was a little bit of a drive to Spicer from Hanover, but worth it every mile.

Sorry! I meant to say Bob Everson at Joe's Sporting goods.

Out of the 3, Laib and Odenthal are probably more shotgun specific.

eenie, meenie, miney moe.... you can't go wrong with any of them. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the message...I did contact Odenthal - no answer back as yet. He seems to be the closest.

Jon

What's the matter jon, all that shooting this year wear that browning out?:): Or did you get a new one?

Just trying to keep the clunker going - don't think you can wear out these old A5's. The rear stock has been crumbling, right where I post is installed. I'm trying to convert both stocks to composite. Last year I bought both for $53 on line. Using the gunsmith for a deep cleaning as it rusted a bit last summer...

I seriously doubt you would need a smith the caliber of Odenthal just to do a strip and clean, but he'll certainly do it. Maybe give you his thoughts on what your attempting to make out of it?

For just a cleaning I think "Gunstop West" in St. Boni must be still around? Can't comment on their work though.

Odenthal will do it and then maybe you can pick his brain a little on your intentions with the gun.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. FYI - St Boni gunsmith no longer...

I've seen a video on dissassy. this gun - "man's got to know his limitations!" A gunsmith can recommend replacing worn parts et al in addition to cleaning. I did have rust on the gun last summer; not sure how it happened but it took a lot of labor to remove. And that's what I could see and get at, without tearing down the gun.

I'm sure there's rust inside the gun as well as built-up grease et al. so I'll pay the $65 to have it cleaned by a pro. Last time I tried to take this gun apart the springs and parts came flying out!!

Today I managed to fit the new rear stock and install the special pad on the butt.

Thanks for the ideas. FYI - St Boni gunsmith no longer...

I've seen a video on dissassy. this gun - "man's got to know his limitations!" A gunsmith can recommend replacing worn parts et al in addition to cleaning. I did have rust on the gun last summer; not sure how it happened but it took a lot of labor to remove. And that's what I could see and get at, without tearing down the gun.

I'm sure there's rust inside the gun as well as built-up grease et al. so I'll pay the $65 to have it cleaned by a pro. Last time I tried to take this gun apart the springs and parts came flying out!!

Today I managed to fit the new rear stock and install the special pad on the butt.

Dang it, Jon, next year you'll be knocking all the birds out of the air and leaving us pikers in a pout.

Hey Mark,

Happy New Year!

I visited with a gunsmith in the area and he wanted nothing to do with my old gun - not even a cleaning. Oh well, I'll try and manage myself.

I did install a new butt section and the rear post for my right hand so I'm good to go; now if it only holds together for another season or two...

Have had this gun (1941 vintage) since 1963 and had only two problems: pickup pin broke and the forend wore out and needed to be replaced - thats it! Off to the sporty's range as soon as it gets out of the deep freeze.

Yes...Odenthal. He insisted on getting a couple of high-priceed fixes (welding) that I chose to decline. $150! All I wanted was a cleaning and he refused to accommodate.

Where the recoil spring passes through the receiver was partially missing, perhaps chipped off, over the years...the gun operates fine so I'll use it as is until it breaksdown.

I did drive to the Horse and Hunt to visit with their gunsmith but he was out. The whole building burned to the ground! And they had just completed a renovation due to water damage; bet their insurance goes through the roof.

He must have had a good reason.

This may not have been the case with your gun, dunno. But... Gunsmiths are kind of bound by liability. What i mean is.. Asking a reputable gunsmith or any gunsmith worth his salt to work on a gun or cut corners for cost reasons that he feels are not safe or leaves him liable since he has done work on that particular gun, is a no-brainier on his part. If someone were to be injured on a gun that he worked on and he knowingly cut corners to save money for the customer, simply put he would be liable.

Again.. and I'm not saying this is the case with your gun as I don't know the full details, but that may have been the reason in his mind for the refusal. Most of these guys take their work seriously and the last thing they want is a gun they worked on hurting someone.

I know Bob Fitzgerald at Horse and Hunt. I have not seen him in years though, but he was always better IMO with wood then metal. They used to call him the "Beaver" :D

Last edited:
This thread seems to be growing...suffice to say, it wasn't a safety issue, but I understand the liability et al. Sort of like a car tune-up vs a complete overhaul.

He just didn't want the work and I'm ok with that. Have decided to pull the trigger group out myself as it appears to be fairly easy. Wish me luck...

I agree on Odenthal and Laib. Both do quality work. I have also had luck with the guys is Ahlmans in Morristown.

Have sent guns to Ahlman's and visited their facility when I wanted a quick turn-around - good work but a bit of a car ride.

Solved my own problems with the rust et al - not as bad as I thought. Pulled the trigger group out, springs flying, but managed to figure out how to reassemble (I think). A good, exploded diagram, would have helped a great deal!

Quality gunsmithing is kind of hard to find these days locally. Seems Gander Mountains used to have an in house smith at most of their locations but now...

You can always ship it out to well known places like Briley etc... and there are a certainly more than few nationally recognized guys out there that do exceptional work, but locally things are getting kind of thin. Odenthal and Laib are the two guys that have built up good reputation for themselves in this area no doubt, problem is that for a good chunk of the season they are busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest and may not even take on new work if they are extremely backlogged.

Last edited:
I found another fellow in the northern burbs, but didn't contact. I assume the fellow at the Horse and Hunt is reliable; have used him only once, several years ago.

I did find a good video that shows how to disassemble the A5 that I could refer to in the future.

Back