Gun Sensitivity

I have a 7-Month old FBECS. Good pup with a lot of potential. Joined a training group this summer in order to introduce the pup to birds. The bird introduction has gone well.

Also arranged for the trainer running the group to do the gun intro. This is where things have not gone well. The pup has began pulling off the chase when the gun is fired. The reaction is not a complete meltdown by any means as we can pretty easily get him back on the chase but he won't be huntable until this gets fixed.

Without going into details I've lost confidence in the ability of my current trainer to fix this issue. I have also called & emailed the breeder where I purchased the pup to see if he had any interest in working with the pup or advice on where to get help and have basically nothing to show for reaching out to him.

Long story short anybody have reccomendations on a good MN flushing dog trainer who has experience dealing with this type issue? I think in order to fix the problem the pup needs a structured step by step process and want to know whoever I hire to do it has the neccessary knowledge, resources and patience to pull it off.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DB

Try Morgan Haglin with Pine Shadows Kennel by Brainerd.

http://pineshadows.com/

I had Morgan correct a delivery issue I was having with my Brittany and he did a great job. They are a Springer breeder but Morgan works with all breeds for training purposes.

Try Tim Lyndecker at TKO in Clear Lake. I sort of doubt he will take on anymore dogs right now but it is worth a try. Tim has a very step by step approach for gunfire intro. Some dogs need 2-3 sessions some need more. Tim really knows his stuff and is very fair and balanced in his training. He can be a bit difficult to reach but hang in there, he is worth it.

Steve

DB,

Sorry to hear of this problem, as I have two of these Pocket Rockets myself and they are great dogs. It sounds like that this is a problem that can be fixed pretty easily. But I think this is a good plan to enlist a pro for this critical step in the evolution of a gun dog.

One name not already mentioned is Tony Roettger of Roettger Ridge Knls, in North Branch, MN. He's a well known FBECS breeder/trainer/ judge etc.

A bit further afield are FBECS experts, Tom Ness and Paul McGagh, both located near Bismark, NoDak. I have personal experience with both men and can give them the highest recommendation.

Good Luck with yr pup and pls post up how this problem was resolved.

NB

The feedback is appreciated.

I spent a fair amount of my time at Game Fair today talking to trainers and will make some calls on the suggestions here on Monday.

Thanks again.

I've worked with Tim Lyndecker, Tony Roettger and Morgan Haglin and I'm pretty sure any of them could handle the issue you describe. I had a somewhat similar issue with my springer, and Morgan got him through it just fine. He's now up there at PS, getting tuned up for the fall field trial season.

I'm not close to you, but I have a pup that was in a similar situation. She was conditioned to gun fire just fine and was doing great. 4th of July came and my neighbors had some very loud fireworks. I made the mistake of leaving my 6 month old pup in her kennel and the next time I went out with her things had changed. When she was in hot pursuit of a bird I would fire my starters pistol like many times before, but this time she stopped, looked back at me and with some encouragement finally completed the retrieve. I couldn't get her over this so I took her to a local trainer. He would work with her on birds with no gun fire and then put her on the chain gang with about 4 or 5 other dogs that were already gun conditioned. When he was working with the other dogs, my pup could watch from the chain gang which was about 150 yards from the training field. He would fire the starters pistol around the other dogs, but not when working with her. After two weeks of doing this he finally put a crimp load in his gun and shot it into the ground while she was just about to pick up a bird. She made a brief pause, very brief and continued on with the retrieve. He didn't shoot any more with her that day and then tried it again the next day. No reaction at all. Over that week he slowly worked up to louder loads until he was finally shooting a 20 gauge over her. She has been fine since then with no signs what so ever of gun shyness. I'm a firm believer that lots of birds and the chain gang is the best training tool for a gun sensitive dog. And an experienced patient trainer helps too. Good luck with your dog.

Thats some very, very good advice right there. 2+ on the chain gang treatment. I cant imagine a well bred FBECS that doesnt have a very strong prey drive. Mine have it, in spades. Given that, I believe the gun sensitivity issue can be overcome with patient, baby step towards the goal.

NB

Luckly I never had this problem. I trained my dog myself. I got the idea from the Bird Dog Training book I had. I don't know if this will help or you will want to try. I simply had someone stand about 100 yards away from me with a loaded shotgun at a outdoor gun range while I had my dog on a leash. As I started to slowly walk toward the shooter while he was firing the shotgun. Any time my dog started to hesitate or show some uncomfort from the gun I would stop and pet him. And reasure him it was ok. I would start to walk again slowly when he wanted to. I ended up about 10 yards from the shooter, which was roughly my goal. it took a while. but we got there and I did not force him. We sat there for about 20 minutes while he shot clay pigieons. Keeping an eye on my dog and praising him for not whining. I did this about 3 different times and then no whining.

If you want to try it. Do not force the dog to the shooter. And if you don't make it that close set it as your bench mark to get closer the next time you bring him out. But always praise your dog and reassure him it is ok and he is safe.

Just wanted to follow-up on the original post.

I ended up using West Country Kennels in Glencoe, MN for my re-introduction to Gun & Birds. It went great. Brian and his crew did an awesome job with my pup and not only is he good with gunfire now but he is completely fired up about birds and training.

Will be taking a couple puppy hunts for grouse this coming weekend. Can't wait to get out.

DB

Back