GSP - won't use her hind leg.. Any ideas?

Goatman

Cassidy - 9yrs - GSP
We were hunting NE, when I noticed she was not using her right hind leg.. never heard any indication of any trouble at all. She hunted back to the truck on 3 legs, but once back at the farmhouse, she was lethargic, laying around in the sun.. seemed to be hurting, but not a wimpier. She has always been a tough one, but this time, she was hurting.. It was warm, almost 70 that day..
Well, inspecting her, I found a small irritation near her butt, maybe 3/4 of an inch in length, but no broken skin.. She does react when checking the area.. so I am thinking this is the issue.. She has been licking the area..
Checked all the joints - no indication of pain.. very minor swelling if any around the pads.
I got her to try to stand on her rears, and she fell over, like it gave out, or is weak.. She has control of the muscles as she stretches and moves the leg fine. I don't see anything in the foot area, like stickers...
It has been a week, and is still favoring it , not putting her full weight on it.

Any ideas?

Goatman

Dude- its been a week and you're looking for answers on a forum instead of taking her to a professional? C-mon. :confused:

Sorry- might have sounded kind of harsh. What I meant was if there is an injury that needs (needed) immediate attention, then you are letting your window of opportunity pass. If this is crippling are you willing to give the care needed to a lame dog? I'm not saying rush to the vet with every little thing, like you wouldn't rush your kids to the hospital with a runny nose, but it sounds more serious than that.

best of luck

Last edited:
toughest dog ever... history of multiple vet visits each year..

History - first trip at a year and a half of age - ripped the ankle wide open.. didn't get the tendon - multiple stitches
Next year - ripped her ear getting at rabbits under the shed.. multiple staples
Next year - gash on her chest.. staples
next year - barb-wire - snout - super glue
next year - gash on her leg - stitches
next year - cactus in her eye - vet visit
Last year - ripped her leg at the elbow - staples
Last year - shredded on a roll of barb wire - staples and stitches, ( lost count at 25 staples)

After each excursion, a trip to the vet.. she never slowed down - continued the hunt to the truck each time. Nothing slows her down. get her sewed up and the next day, she is back at it 100%. She now wears full body armor.

Now, when this year's trip ended with her limping, I do recall seeing her "fall" into a varmint hole, take a dive, got up and kept going.. so, my assumption was a twisted ankle. but, no indication of pain. she has been using the leg gingerly, just not her full weight. Still no indication of any pain. And yes, she is heading to the vet for internal examination of ligaments..

goatman

Sounds like she likes to hunt. I bet the ear one was messy. I had one rip her ear on barbed wire and I thought she was going to bleed out.

best of luck.

RE GSP won't use her hind leg

What is her temperature? Anything over 102.5 indicates an infection. Penicillin injectable (feed stores have this with the needles and syringes) for infections. Can be given either subcutaneously between the withers or intramuscular in the thigh muscle - but you must be careful with intramuscular drawing back on the plunger once the needle is in as dogs are allergic to penicillin into a vein, so draw back, if no blood into the syringe then inject. Subcutaneous works fine too if you're more comfortable with this.

Could also be a pinched nerve - could try arnica montana to see if that will help with the "trauma". Can also give aspirin to help relieve pain.

We have had GSPs and Brittany's for over 40 years - just got my first English setter to become kennel friend for my 1 1/2 year old GSP as her old kennel friend, an 18 year old Brittany passed away a couple of months ago.

Hope the info above helps - Goatlady

She is doing fine, Untill....

A major sprain at the ankle... had it immobilized using her booty and a tape job for the last 2 weeks.. She is using it again, even some light running..

There was never an issue with the eating, or temp.. just a nasty twist when she hit the badger hole.

Until today.

She was out in the yard. When I called her in, she came flying at full speed, like always.... jumped up on the deck and slipped on her way in the door.. ran right into the side of the door opening, with the same leg.. she did whimper a bit... so I know that it hurt... She is a GSP... tough as all get out...

Goatman

Glad to hear Goatman.:thumbsup: My turn, River my girl stabed her self in the foot and broke her toe. Sucks, had her in the IA field trial. No idea how she did it. Now just like Farve she is ?able for this Saturdays game.:D

Back