Grouse report

I shot more grouse this year than the last couple seasons. If I was in good cover, I found grouse. Woodcock were off for me. Some of that has to do with my favorite coverts of young aspen now getting too old to provide habitat for them. Still, I'm always scouting and I hunted new areas that looked prime. Shot a few birds, but never got into the heavy migration flights.

The other factor influencing by daily bag is my Setter, Max. he is now 11-1/2 and slowing down. Our hunts were typically 1-2 hours, whereas in past year we put on a lot more miles each time out. He did fine. Knows his stuff. But young dogs get old, as do we. I'm not as inclined to hunt hard as I used to either!

Glad to hear you saw a number of birds. I was in the ne section of WI. Birds seem to be way down from last year.

I'm headed for deer camp this afternoon. One of my brothers finished a big job and headed up yesterday. He sent picture of a new clearcut they're still logging on. It will be a good woodcock spot @ the year 2030.

In the County land where our family has hunted since the mid-50's, they've managed the Aspen for years. They started clearcutting in the 60's. Where I sit deer hunting is part of a cut made back then. Instead of the large clearcuts they did then, they're making smaller cuts. I'm in a mature Aspen and Balsam Fir stand, surrounded by three 2-3 year old clearcuts. There was a time 3 and 4 dogs ago that I never failed to shoot a grouse in that stand. I don't even bother to hunt it anymore. There's better cover available nearby.

Trees grow and the habitat changes. We need to continually adapt, searching for optimum cover as our favorite stands mature. We named one spot Woodcock Hill 3 dogs ago. The light switch really turned on for my young setter in that spot a few weeks into her first season. They clearcut that stand last year and it's a friggin mess. I don't understand how they allowed the contractor to leave it in such condition. No man or dog can walk through it now with all the debris.

A lot of areas in the U.P. that way. You would think in their bid package, they would state to at least pile up all debris in mounds or piles. Then enforce it. Inspect after, if they don't, can't bid again. Very EASY fix, lol. Too easy for government depts.

Headed up the Phillips-Park Falls area next this coming week for a couple days.....any recent reports on numbers?
Was up in the beginning of October, but had to cut trip short after a couple hours and head home for work. Missed 2 and got 1 in about 3 hours.
Thanks for any info.

Bumped enough birds to keep me and the dog interested. Nothing to show for it however. With the cold the first two days, only hunted the warmest couple hours. Birds were in the thick stuff and not cooperating with my flight plans for them. LOL!
Today with the warmup, they were out and about, but still left me scratching my head for shots.
If I'd work the thick stuff with the dog, they'd flush to the openings. If I'd stay near the openings, they'd stay in the thick stuff and flush away and deeper.
Oh well, only my second time grouse hunting, learned alot, and the dog did his part/enjoyed himself too.

Grouse are very smart. Later in the season they get even smarter. Keep the dog as close as possible. Stalk light like your still hunting for deer. Watch where u walk, don't make any noise walking on trails. Quiet is the answer.

Grouse are very smart. Later in the season they get even smarter. Keep the dog as close as possible. Stalk light like your still hunting for deer. Watch where u walk, don't make any noise walking on trails. Quiet is the answer.

Surprisingly, walking in the snow was pretty noisy Monday and Tuesday with how cold it was, every step made noise. Only was a dusting, maybe 3/4ths of an inch.

Back