Grouse guide around Mercer or Park Falls?

Anyone have a recommendation for a knowledgeable grouse guide anywhere in the Mercer or Park Falls areas for a reasonable price? I have never hunted grouse before and would not like to waste days hunting cover that doesn't hold birds because I don't know what to look for.

Looked all over the web, e-mailed a few people, left a msg with one that responded. Can't get much response if any.

Ides Guides seems to be the biggest outfit, but I'm not paying $600/day for a guide. :eek: Maybe I'm just too cheap.

I think there is a back forty guide service in Phillips. You could try them. North wind enterprises in glidden. may guide also. I think they have maps etc... To sell that include specific for use habitat.

Last edited:
I seriously don't think you need a guide in N. WI. Check out the maps for public lands. Especially County Forest Lands. National Forests provide some opportunities, too. Counties do the best job of managing early succession species [aspen!]. Some county foresters might help you with maps showing young aspen stands [5-10 years best for woodcock]. Google Earth is also a good tool and in the areas I hunt they've updated to newer satellite photos.

I can't help with a guide but I'd also encourage you to go up there and hunt on your own.

$600 a day is crazy. I understand why they charge that much but I'd not pay it.

Ive booked a place to stay just north of Park Falls that has around 80 ac solely for the cabin Im staying at, and plenty of county forest around that. The owner guides there for deer and bear. His statement is 'we cant justify taking your money to guide you for grouse, but Ill show you around and give you the short course on how to hunt them.'

Hopefully he's right along with you guys! Either way should be nice to extend the season by getting out a little earlier than usual.

Last edited:
I use the FFLIGHT map that the DNR has for a lot of bird hunting down here. Has anyone used it for grouse up north? That would be my suggestion, anyone have any experience using it?

Made it up and hunted today. Actually have quite a bit more than 80ac available with this cabin. Hunted that and some county land it adjoins.

Hunted 6 to 6.5 hours today. Moved 9 grouse of which I saw 7 and heard 2. Had one solid point and killed that bird. I put a third shot in it as the second shot seemed like a light hit - just then a second grouse takes off 10 yards away. Could have maybe had a double but the gun was empty. Saw no woodcock.

Flubbed one really easy shot. Should have taken two, but Im happy with one in the bag on my first day grouse hunting.

Finishing up the trip. My first grouse trip was enough to get me back, but extremely humbling.

Dog had two solid points today after many, many busted birds. Breeze was finally up, but I'd like to think he learned something too.

A touch over 17 hrs hunted, 23 grouse flushed, 3 woodcock.

Killed 2 grouse and 1 woodcock. Both tasted excellent, but the surprise of the trip was the woodcock. Delicious. Brined overnight, and fried in bacon grease. Very tender with a flavor that reminded me of beef liver, but much more delicate flavor than liver.

If you want to get into more woodcock, find aspen clearcuts 5-7 years old. 3/4" - 1-1/2" diameter and thicker than the hair on a dogs back. This past weekend was our annual hunt with my brothers. Saturday morning we shot our 6 man limit of woodcock hunting two spots before lunch. It's tough going, but so much fun to get into flights of timberdoodles. And excellent work for a young pointing dog because they normally hold very tight.

We shot grouse, too. As you said, they're humbling. Fast and never seem to get up where you expect them to.

Grouse run, much like pheasants do. They'll run ahead into a clump of fir, then go out the other side, using the fir as escape cover. That's something to keep in mind when going in on your pup on point. Note wind direction and take a circular path around and ahead to cut the bird off when he goes. They're wily birds.

Better yet, is hunting with a partner and if you know how to hunt together it helps. Grouse will flush wild at the sound of human voice, so hand signals. One guy circling wide around each side of dog and expect the bird to be 20-30 yards ahead into the wind.

I had a buddy I took hunting a few times, but with too many reasons not to explain here, including safety, I no longer hunt with him. He just didn't get it. My dog would slam into point, he'd walk up and stand next to her. I'd be going around one side and the bird would go out the other, with him never being in position, despite my talking strategy over and over with him. One of my brothers refers to him as "that greenhorn son of a bitch", as he and I had a bad experience with him.

Over the years, my setters have often given me a clue as to range to the bird. Close to the point and they'll be crouched low forward, especially on woodcock. Standing tall and the bird is out ahead.

Back