grouse and grizzlies

So a new predicament has arisen....

Backstory- I spend a week every year in the Lander area with friends that live there. When I have big game tags I hunt for that, but have mostly chased blues and sage grouse to the south around the pass. My buddy runs a historical site and allows me to stay in his cabin there.

The last couple years GFP has confirmed a grizzly in one of my blue grouse spots several miles up the highway. Big area, didnt concern me alot. Threw a couple deer slugs in my shell loops and hunted anyway. Its a good grouse spot.

Well said grizzly has apparently been getting fed by those hiker/hippies, and made an appearance on the historic site 50 feet from tourists, who had their food spread out on the picnic table. My buddy witnessed it, said the bear was "definitley trailing" the hiker. My buddy is very reliable and yes, does know the difference between a black bear and griz. Species is not in dispute by anyone, including GFP.

I know a fed bear is a dead bear and this will likely resolve itself in a sad way before fall. BUT at this point I'm thinking precautions are in order. If the bear is there, he could be in pretty much ANY place I normally hunt.

I question my ability to crack open the sxs and stuff in buck or slugs quick enough. I have a 2.5" Smith 66 in .357 that could be a belt gun, but what loads? Yes I have a .44 but it is not exactly a belt gun. I will take under advisement the best bear handgun advice I've heard- to coat it in vaseline so it doesnt hurt as much when he shoves it up my......

And I know NOTHING about bear spray- education there mucho appreciado.

What, if anything, do you guys that hunt WY regularly do?

Last edited:
What gauge shotgun are you carrying? Not sure that a 2.5" 357 Mag would be as good as a load of birdshot at close range. I would agree that you probably would not have time to chamber a couple rounds of slugs or buckshot. If you are attacked by a grizz it usually happens fast and without much notice. You might not even have time to grab a handgun from your belt. I might opt for a pump or auto loader to carry that would allow me to get off more than two rounds. A load of birdshot at close range will tear a huge hole in something. I'll be interested to see what others think about this situation.

Get your self a big can of Bear spray It works. The game and fish will likely trap and remove this bear, if it has been stalking people It will be put down.

I agree with the thought about bird shot. I would have just as much confidence in defending myself with what i was already carrying instead of the time taken to switch loads. You might also be in violation of a hunting law by posessing the slugs or buckshot. You would be here in Tennessee anyway. Dont carry food. Bears are usually affraid of dogs and avoid them(if you are using dogs).

Bear spray would likely be your best choice since your main focus is bird hunting, but buy a couple cans & practice with one. It does work, but that defensive tool is no different than any other one & you need to be able to use it effectively & quickly. I was raised in bear country (black & griz); bear insurance was a short-barreled & quick-pointing 12 gauge pump loaded with slugs. Never had any problems with a grizzly, but did have to put-down an overly-aggressive black bear. I also had to track-down a black bear that a guy had run-off after shooting it several times with a .44 mag. Some 3 hours later, I found the bear dead, but it had travelled almost 2 miles.

Bear spray would likely be your best choice since your main focus is bird hunting, but buy a couple cans & practice with one. It does work, but that defensive tool is no different than any other one & you need to be able to use it effectively & quickly. I was raised in bear country (black & griz); bear insurance was a short-barreled & quick-pointing 12 gauge pump loaded with slugs. Never had any problems with a grizzly, but did have to put-down an overly-aggressive black bear. I also had to track-down a black bear that a guy had run-off after shooting it several times with a .44 mag. Some 3 hours later, I found the bear dead, but it had travelled almost 2 miles.

Yes I have had many back country in counters with both Balck and grizzlies. I want bear spray over a hand gun all day long. The spray works it shuts down there smell sense and smokes scews with them bad. Any body thats been though a gas camber in the military know what pepper spray does. IT f's you up good. It does the same to bears. A big grizz will turn tail and leave but quick. :thumbsup: Dont Spay into the wind or it will take you out.

Last edited:
I live in the same general area and will be hunting blues as well in the same general area as well. I am more worried about wolves as odd as that sounds, I have heard that they are more apt to actively hunt and attack dogs.. any truth to that? Also if ever interested maybe we could hunt as a pair, one does bear while other does birds? Just a thought I carry bear spray in that area and have picked up some bear slugs as well...

I had grizzlies and sharptails burst out of the same service berry bushes at Ft, Peck, in those days, ( early 1980's). I don't believe anybody thought they went that far east, but there they were! Sow and two 1/2 grown cubs. I got a kick out it, but if you see your dogs and or horses act panicky, and run for the truck, be advised.

I don't think the bird shot would do much except piss the grizzly off. I would carry some bear spray or a handgun.

Andy- GFP had documented a wolf den straight west of South Pass a couple years ago, although I've never seen or heard one I don't doubt they are there. I guess they don't read the park boundary signs? Friends in Wisconsin have had wolves parallel them while hunting with dogs and I think it would be a valid concern. I'll drop you a line on maybe hunting together....

*Presumably* this is the same griz that gfp documented the last four years a little to the north and is a boar, so thankfully shouldn't run into a sow with cubs situation.

Jsdriggs- sorry if I touched a nerve on the hiker/hippie comment, I think I should have used hiker-hippie instead. All hikers are certainly not hippies, but there are a large population that seem to be in the backwoods smoking weed and communing with disregard to things like feeding bears. And I certainly don't want the griz shot but I do fear because some fools fed it, Mr Griz is headed for an early demise. Which is really, really too bad that he pays the price for human ignorance. I'd love to see him out there- just not coming up off my setters point. And regardless if the area is teeming with grizzlies- I worked too hard for too many years to figure out those grouse spots to give it up to any bear, wolf, tiger, or tyrannosaurus.

Last edited:
You guys really don't have to worry about the future of Mr Grizz.
They are REALLY well protected all through the Western USA. :cheers:

just call the people feeding bears what the are dumb a**** no need to dig the hole deeper all the dumb people in yellowstone that feed bears are not hippie hikers the not locals either they should know better... why not have ur buddy call a warden and have that bear moved into a area away from a active camp/resort???

i had no worrys in grizzly country in nw mt on the bc canada border had wolf black bears grizzly and mtn lion around i addmit i was dumb for only haveing a knife and fishing pole in hand but my buddy always had a .44 with him and a 45 lc for his wife... they took pics if a mother and 3 griz cubs a mile or 2 from there cabin.. bear spray side arm shotgun ur safe id assume... i griz can run as fast as a quorter horse for short distance so like zeb said it will happen fast if it does practice get n that bear spray out fast like quick draw...

not sure if it would work but you might run your dog with a bell/beeper or something so the Griz can hear them. Not sure it would work but I would think Griz would shy away from the sound

not sure if it would work but you might run your dog with a bell/beeper or something so the Griz can hear them. Not sure it would work but I would think Griz would shy away from the sound

either that or become a dinner bell. don't ever hear about the bear and dog problems, but wuff problems there are and they do kill dogs

cheers

Andy- GFP had documented a wolf den straight west of South Pass a couple years ago, although I've never seen or heard one I don't doubt they are there. I guess they don't read the park boundary signs? Friends in Wisconsin have had wolves parallel them while hunting with dogs and I think it would be a valid concern. I'll drop you a line on maybe hunting together....

*Presumably* this is the same griz that gfp documented the last four years a little to the north and is a boar, so thankfully shouldn't run into a sow with cubs situation.

Jsdriggs- sorry if I touched a nerve on the hiker/hippie comment, I think I should have used hiker-hippie instead. All hikers are certainly not hippies, but there are a large population that seem to be in the backwoods smoking weed and communing with disregard to things like feeding bears. And I certainly don't want the griz shot but I do fear because some fools fed it, Mr Griz is headed for an early demise. Which is really, really too bad that he pays the price for human ignorance. I'd love to see him out there- just not coming up off my setters point. And regardless if the area is teeming with grizzlies- I worked too hard for too many years to figure out those grouse spots to give it up to any bear, wolf, tiger, or tyrannosaurus.

this is clearly a man with a passion -an obsession- with grouse hunting! you tell 'em!

Back