Group Training? Yes or No?

I think training with a group is a huge benefit. People to help throwing dummies, bouncing ideas off of, different spots to train, etc. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. Just be careful to pick and choose who you want to train with, like similar methods, personalities, type of dogs, etc.

Thanks for the reply Golden Boy.

Basically I like the idea and have been fortunate enough to be offered to train with them. I've been with the group twice and the guys seem to be really nice, plus Im extremely grateful.

I'm just concerned as I see some potential for some conflicts with Remi's(6 months a week from today) training, but really like the camaraderie and see many of the plusses as well. Dokkens mentions its imperative not to skip the correct leash/check cord training but the main guy who runs this group insisted on a 4' lead only, on a short 30-45' retrieve. Just would rather have it on, which I mentioned, in case a correction was needed. However, I dont want to step on toes either.

This is fun as heck for us but now the wheels are turning on this subject.

Last edited:
Every trainer I know trains differently. They all have their systems that they like and follow closely. I live close to Tom and have visited with him a number of times his method is just that a method. Some guys mix methods and do well at that. The guys in the group you are training with have their own styles and methods. Train the way you like, a good training group will not force you into their methods, they may at time make suggestions but if they want to put you into a box, find another group. I am a believer in a check cord as well. My latest pup began to do things other than bring the dummy back to me at about 6-9 months. I put a check cord on her and never threw a dummy farther than the check cord. Then she was forced to always return to me. After 2 weeks she was back to longer retrieves because she understood the rules! If you follow a system to a T it should work for you. The only problem of not taking outside suggestions is that not every dog responds in the same way to the same methods. That is where someone with more experience with multiple dogs can help through those situations. Best of luck!

Every trainer I know trains differently. They all have their systems that they like and follow closely. I live close to Tom and have visited with him a number of times his method is just that a method. Some guys mix methods and do well at that. The guys in the group you are training with have their own styles and methods. Train the way you like, a good training group will not force you into their methods, they may at time make suggestions but if they want to put you into a box, find another group. I am a believer in a check cord as well. My latest pup began to do things other than bring the dummy back to me at about 6-9 months. I put a check cord on her and never threw a dummy farther than the check cord. Then she was forced to always return to me. After 2 weeks she was back to longer retrieves because she understood the rules! If you follow a system to a T it should work for you. The only problem of not taking outside suggestions is that not every dog responds in the same way to the same methods. That is where someone with more experience with multiple dogs can help through those situations. Best of luck!

I grasp what you are saying and see where you're coming from there. That's why I wanted to post just to hear from others, like yourself. Thanks! Stating it how you did..."if they put me in a box, find another group". Without saying the same exact words myself, you pretty much nailed my gut feelings about it.

Also, no matter what I say; right, wrong, indifferent...the guys that invited me to join are great guys and have been at it for a long time and obviously have had success. Im not questioning them or their methods by any means. I almost didn't post this up because at the end of the day, they have tons more knowledge than I do and I don't want to come off the wrong way or ungrateful etc. Reason why I did. We are all human, some are stubborn some are open minded. One persons way will not work for everyone and it cant hurt to talk about it. When I re-read what I wrote above, it kinda seems that way but as my wheels are turning, I suppose my intent is more along the lines of "will these methods work for Remi?"

I have looked at many methods and incorporated some6(not enough as I have now learned) but am following or always find myself going back to Dokkens as our "base program" because I feel it is suited well for Remi. I'm going to check out fowl dogs volume 1 and 10 minute retriever and see if I like it. I didn't get to check those out yet.

Last edited:
You can always look at Bill Hillman's youtube video's. He is a great resource on young dogs as well.

I have checked a couple of his vids but sometimes get lost as far as, so much to do so little time, that I forget to go back and watch more or re-watch what Ive seen LOL. Thanks for the reminder! I'm going to add a bunch of them to my "watch list" now...that'll help

I train with a group weekly and do enjoy the social part of group training but find that I get more accomplished with my dog when training on my own. When I first started out training my dog I also got quite a bit of conflicting information on training (all well meant) and I did spend some time struggling with all the training tips being giving to me.
I will add that for a spaniel group training is really helpful and probably required at some point since we need to have gunners and other dogs to run braces with.

You can accomplish a lot of yardwork and drills on your own but for the for advanced work a training group is a great asset

Remember the only thing two trainers can agree on is that the third trainer is wrong. That being said do what works for you, train at the level your dog is at, if the setup is to much or you feel it may be detrimental skip and run the next setup. All dogs are different what works with one might not with the next. Its your dog and your responsibility to be an advocate for your dog. Listen to what everyone says and pick out the nuggets of gold that work for you.

Stick with the group, do your share and then some. If the fit isn't just right the friendships you make will open other opportunitys

Good luck, I gotta go. Running a 17 month old pup in his first Master Hunter test today... Hes damn good but we will both need to bring our A game

Thanks for the replies everyone! Some really good points made and nice things said. I can see what you are all saying in regards to many, if not all of the pro's included with training in a group setting.

Last edited:
Back