Greetings from Calgary, Alberta

Scoob

Hello everyone,

I am looking forward to visiting South Dakota for the first time this November. Just me and my 5yr old lab are jumping in the truck and going on a road trip. I have hunted pheasants in Southern Alberta for a number of years but want to experience SD.

Will probably hunt a day or 2 in Montana as I did last year for the first time and then carry on to Rapid City and then who knows where.

Would anyone be able to give me any advice on general places or counties to go where there is a good amount of walk in areas and maybe not so busy. I don't really want to drive east across the state but will go where I think the most positive experience will be (that doesn't neccessarily mean shooting the most birds either). You always hear lots about Mitchell, Huron etc. Just want to get out and have a good time for a few days with the dog and hopefully put up a few birds.

Generally speaking can anyone comment on how easy it is to get permission from landowners? I would also look at doing a day or 2 of self guided hunting if the price was right. Any recommendations on guides would be appreciated.

Also, if there are any avid or prospective fly fisherman out there I live 5 minutes away from a World Class trout river, that being the Bow River and would certainly entertain a trade of guiding, land access etc for a few days fishing on the Bow and accomodations at my house.

I am planning on being in SD Nov 5th for the week. Thanks in advance to all of you and I look forward to my trip to South Dakota.

Warner

Apology

My apologies for my introductory post. I have become aware that it isn't appropriate to ask for that amount of info on the board.

Travelling 1200 miles into the unknown got the best of me.

I do however try to share any info or experience I have to the best of my ability.

Thanks.

Warner

Back