good weekend

BrownDogsCan2

Ended up 5th in the pack derby today.

My wife arranged for me to have the day off yesterday so I ended up out west after all. The plan was for me to stop and see mom before heading over to the farmer's who takes care of the little bit of ground still remaining in the family,
Was getting close and decided to swing by a few patches of wiha that I would be using as a backup. I pulled over to the edge of the third field to scout it out and all hell breaks loose, thirty birds heavy in roosters fans out across the edge of the field. Plan has changed.
grab the gun, grab the dog, round stuff up,,,bird here, stragler there, still getting up! make my way out , over to the back side of a weed patch two terraces over where the majority of the first group had landed. dog's birdy, flushing wild, fifty, forty, thirty five, wait there's one at 20,,,,first bird in the bag. I continue to work it for a couple of hundred more yards. Rooster's up,, three shells later and have number two. It's time to get out of here, day is early and no doubt if I stick around in this field much longer I am going to finish it. I'm rounding the corner back towards the truck...cackle, boom ...shoot dangit! number three. we beat feet out of there.

A few miles down the road is the farm , driving by I notice a camper parked out back. Hunter?
Keep heading down the road for a few minutes to stop and see mom. Tell her hi and let her know I'll be around for the day.
Off to check in, inquire about the camper. Landowner lets me know it's a cousin of mine. Shoot its been years.

My dad was the youngest of twelve. My grandma had had him in her mid 40's Grandpa had passed before I was born. Both born before the last century. Kids all grew up and moved away.
When we'd go out and visit we'd stop by and see her , maybe spend the night. But when we hunted it was always on the other side of the family. One of the things I was looking forward to on this trip was to take a pheasant up by were the old house would have been.

There's an old one room school house on the 80 next door to where the farm used to be. At some point one the kids crawled up and painted the family name across the crown, it kind of stuck.

View attachment 7997

View attachment 7998

Dads great aunt I believe. old pasture quarry, countless fenceposts, couple houses, a barn and who knows what else came out of that hole in the ground. Supposed to be an old stone coral family at one time would run mustangs into and break and sell to the army. When i was a kid we would go down to the quarry to hunt sharks teeth, we would find a few. Legend is they used to find them by the coffee can full ,not too sure I believe that.

View attachment 7999

View attachment 8000

Grandads uncle I believe.

View attachment 8001

As you show, hunting can be way more than shooting game. So nice. Thanks for sharing

Sure enjoyed your post and story! Have seen that post rock house, or one just like it, in one of my many hunts in post rock country in Kansas. Some of my best hunts were in that part of the world starting in 1985 and still going on. Mostly hunt now in ok panhandle and some in sd but Kansas still keeps bringing me back.

One of the best reads of the season \ Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a successful late season hunt !!!

that is likely the best read on this forum in my opinion.

J

come on now Jason it wasn't that good ;), was going to send you guys that way. Wasn't sure if those were ghost birds I was seeing in Oct.,,,, afraid I might send you out on a cold lead. I've got three limbs on the family tree hooking up this weekend or I would bring you guys along. We could set you on the tailgate and let you block:cheers:

come on now Jason it wasn't that good ;), was going to send you guys that way. Wasn't sure if those were ghost birds I was seeing in Oct.,,,, afraid I might send you out on a cold lead. I've got three limbs on the family tree hooking up this weekend or I would bring you guys along. We could set you on the tailgate and let you block:cheers:

I'm still recovering this knee...brother might head west this weekend though.

Back