Getting Ready...

Birdman2

Ok guys. What are you doing to get into shape for the up coming season? I am on my annual diet, lol. I really need to lose 30 pounds. Started to diet last week. Today started on my exercise machine. I am going to try and walk at least an hour a day on the machine, which will be about 2-2.5 miles.

Nothing other than my job teaching elementary PE. That keeps me in great shape. I average around 12,000 steps per day teaching, thats about 5 miles.

Picked up a cold and cough for a couple of weeks which shut me down, but I am back at it. I am doing a few miles a day and will get it up to 5 soon. I am going to do a 2.5 mile walk tonight. Limiting my food and sugar intake and will start back in the gym for lifting hopefully this week too.

For some motivation, I ordered a new upland vest last night. Don't really need it but I still get excited when I get new gear and I think its important to have some fun along the way.

Last edited:
Am slowly increasing my beer intake. Also eating more than I should. We have our own house in South Dakota and also have some very good cooks. Probably at least 2 prime rib dinners !
Slow and steady! I am getting old enough that I can't keep up with that routine much longer, I am going to have to start doing a little pre-season prep work one of these years....as for now, business as usual, this time of year my activity level is picking-up, gardening, planting trees, tending to habitat along with lawn & house maintanence.

always counted on racquetball to help stay in shape for hunting...........that's out with torn labrum and bicep tendon, so R shoulder surgery next week.
Baseball, softball, racquetball finally took its toll.............agree remy3424, landscaping and yardwork not my favorites, but appreciate the results (and exercise)...............just installed the stairs on wife's flower planter today, complete..............good workout on this project! Looks like lots of walking & rehab the next several weeks. Happy Memorial weekend all! God Bless our Vets!

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 9
I don’t do it for hunting season, just for sanity’s sake, I walk daily…usually twice…3 miles per walk…usually with 2 leashed dogs…

For me, it's mostly moving to a rabbit type diet...salads, chicken, and cut, cut, cut the carbs.. I also run the dog every day. She gets in 2-3 miles, I get in 1 1/2 miles.

I'm practicing falling down. Haven't worked up to going down with the gun yet, just hit and roll. Also working on my screaming at dogs. I'm pretty sure they will be ready to ignore me by season.
Dude, Great idea. Yea I hit those holes pretty hard myself. Just strolling along and bam !! No way we will see those holes. Typically I will hit 3-5 a year and have been lucky so far. If I have time I try and just relax falling.

I'm practicing falling down. Haven't worked up to going down with the gun yet, just hit and roll. Also working on my screaming at dogs. I'm pretty sure they will be ready to ignore me by season.
Ha! I took three good spills last year. Fortunately, only one was on frozen ground, and I was hunting by myself on two of the occasions. I am perfecting the side, to slightly quartering towards my back landing, other than not falling at all, I find it is the best way to maintain muzzle control.

I did a face plant this year in Iowa. I hunt by myself a lot, so I got a PLB a few years ago and carry it on all my hunts. Just in case I break something and can't get to my truck. Cell service isn't always available. The PLB is guaranteed. Hit a button and wait.

At 7o+I have taken my share of tumbles. One of my more memorable experiences I stepped in a hole which allowed my boot to go into the hole far enough that my toes were pointing upward and I could not pull my foot back out. wound up having to unlace the boot and pull my foot out of the boot , then bend the toe of the boot back to extract it from the hole. Glad no saw me.

So I have a siatica or whatever problem in one leg. The DR tell me to go to PT. So I go to PT and they hand me a questionnaire. It asks do you fall down. I say yes. They say how often . I say lots. The PT person asks when do I fall down. I say when I hunt and step in a hole. They ask if I fall down going to the bathroom. I say not unless there is a hole between the bed and the bathroom. They go on to the next question.

Back