Getting dog to point

ScottH

So I have a 1 year old GSP. Last year he pointed great but wouldn’t retrieve. I sent him away to get his retrieve down now it seems like he won’t point. Literally by the time he stops he’s standing on top of the bird. I’m a new bird dog owner so I’m looking for advice on what to do to get him to point farther

First off I am not a trainer and don’t claim to be so take this at what it’s worth. I wouldn’t worry about it yet, the dog is young and probably just went through a lot of stress and is a little confused as what it’s supposed to do. I would let it be a young dog and make some mistakes with out putting to much pressure or correcting it on the pointing. Let it (birds) be fun again.

Scott, The best advise I can give you is to have patience with a young dog and don't get upset when they make some mistakes early in the hunting season. Pointing is in the dogs DNA and I am sure that it will come out once you get him on more birds. Remember this is going to be your hunting partner for years and the only way to make a seasoned gun dog is to get them on plenty of birds. I have raised many of GSP's in my lifetime and no two were a like. Some were great retrievers and some were not but them all have the natural instinct to hunt.

If you are trying to train this pup on birds you need to look at all of the obstacles that you are putting in front of him. You said he wasn't stopping until he was right on top of the bird. Go back to that day and figure out what you did wrong, Which way was the wind coming form? were you working him into the wind or away from it? What time of day was it? Were the conditions extremely dry outside? Lastly what was the cover like were you planted the birds. All of this plays into having a successful training session. My guess would be that you set him up for failure. Dogs need some moisture in the air to help them with their scenting conditions that is why morning hunts when the dew is still in the air gives your pup a little advantage, by midday when the conditions are dry it is a lot harder for them to pick up scent. If your dog is breathing hard with his tongue hanging out from running a field you may as well put him away because your day is over.

Remember what I said earlier in this message, go back and think about the conditions and then tell me if you set him up for a favorable hunt test.

Good luck!

Open Ranger

Open Ranger Thank u. Yes it was around mid day. It was humid also. This is my 1st pup so I know I’m the issue and appreciate u offering the advice. Yesterday I was cutting him loose. I sent him into the wind so wind headed towards his nose. That said he did move side to side. I assume now listening I should keep him on a check cord and kinda keep him in the scent cone? Once I know he scents him I should whoa him correct? Flush bird and let him chase without shooting bird is this correct? Thank u

Definitely don't panic yet. You have a young dog that's learning the ropes. They have pointing in their genes so that will take over with experience. Get them on as many bird contacts as possible this season to gain them experience. Even if it means going to game farms or pay to play places so you know they will come away from the hunt having some bird contacts.

Yea that’s all we really have near me. I e been buying chukars and putting them out Amy moms farm. In fact taking him tomorrow with a couple birds to do some work

Just get him out a couple times a week whenever it is that your season starts. As said, bird contacts will bring the hunting intincts out of him, he is still a pup, relax and go hunting.

RELAX- he is still a pup. I've trained GSP pups for +40 years and believe putting your dog on as many birds as possible is key. And yes, that includes buying some pen reared birds for him. Good Luck!

Thanks all. Yea 99% of birds here are pen raised. I don’t mind spending the $$ just didn’t want to mess him up more then he is lol

My two cents worth: if this dog is your pet and is bonded to you and perhaps other family members, sending a dog off to a stranger for training is, in my opinion, a bad idea. Rather, there are dozens if not hundreds of videos showing how to train retrieving. Do it yourself and thereby deepen your bond with your dog. A dog that is bonded to its master wants to please its master. This is speculation, but I'm guessing the retrieve training is responsible for the lack pointing which I think will be temporary. I have a friend whose bird dogs are house pets and totally bonded to him and family. He has sent them out to trainers over and over and it accomplished nothing as far as I could tell. Just imagine what stress a dog bonded to its master is under when it suddenly finds itself in a strange place with strange people. Now if you have kennel dogs with whom you have no bond, might be a different story.

My two cents worth: if this dog is your pet and is bonded to you and perhaps other family members, sending a dog off to a stranger for training is, in my opinion, a bad idea. Rather, there are dozens if not hundreds of videos showing how to train retrieving. Do it yourself and thereby deepen your bond with your dog. A dog that is bonded to its master wants to please its master. This is speculation, but I'm guessing the retrieve training is responsible for the lack pointing which I think will be temporary. I have a friend whose bird dogs are house pets and totally bonded to him and family. He has sent them out to trainers over and over and it accomplished nothing as far as I could tell. Just imagine what stress a dog bonded to its master is under when it suddenly finds itself in a strange place with strange people. Now if you have kennel dogs with whom you have no bond, might be a different story.
I agree with that ^ I like to think my dogs want to listen to me and hunt for me because we're a team and they want to please me and make me happy.

I can't agree more with the last 2 post. The bond that you build with your hunting partner should be one that last a life time.

I agree with the bonding boys it’s all natural point hunt retrieve sometimes the so called trainer does more harm than good that’s just my opinion

My Pudelpointer didn't point until well past a year. Not until she had contact with a few birds. Then BAM. Everytime for 9 years now. Except grouse in cover. She learned pointing them out of my site is,,,wait for it,,,pointless. lol

In a barebones- nutshell:
Establish a solid whoa/ hold command first.
Then check cord and pigeons are your friend.

So I have a 1 year old GSP. Last year he pointed great but wouldn’t retrieve. I sent him away to get his retrieve down now it seems like he won’t point. Literally by the time he stops he’s standing on top of the bird. I’m a new bird dog owner so I’m looking for advice on what to do to get him to point farther
I would not worry about it there is nothing wrong with your dog. I have a 5 year old that rarely pointed when he was younger and now he points great. Also is he not pointing wild birds or is he not pointing training pigeons? If wild birds give it time it could take a while before your dog masters wild birds.

So if you want to add distance to a point my biggest tip is to get a bird launcher and pigeons of Craigslist ($50 max no need for a dt systems). Go go some public land or private if you have access the second your dog turns on a birds scent you release the bird immediately. They will quickly learn how far away they should be. It works charms. Id also not recommend shooting during these first sessions.

Last edited:
Back