German Shorthair - Lab needs home

Lazer-UPH

UPH Guru
Got a neighbor that has to get rid of a good and well trained 2 year old. Breaks his heart, but it nipped at him this weekend, and with a 7 mo old he does not want to take any chances. Its been trained by Dokken here in the cities, I have hunted behind him. Got great retrieving skills, actually has been pointing last two times out. I know its hard decision, but I think he just wants to make sure it goes some where it will be able to run and hunt.

10665311_10152776339976030_1162680430487404845_n.jpg

10665380_10152776338511030_8162210033631195947_n.jpg

Let's think about this, it took a Bite at the hand that feeds it. Don't take a chance Put it Down.
I am a Dog lover but, I have no tolerance for one that could bite someone period. Your friend knows what needs done. Please do his before someone else gets bit.

Its a 2 yr old pup.

The situation was the dog had a broken nail. Dog was sleeping, he went to look at the wound and see if it needed to be brought in, startled the dog and dog woke up like any human would with a reaction after being touched in an injury.

I can say this dog is a very well trained and behaved dog. I think the real reason now is he does not have time to work the dog like it should with a new baby. So he just needs a good home to go hunt more often.

Regardless, in my book there are differences between - Nip, a bite and a aggressive dog attack. I been bit by my dog before when I was younger, I deserved everybit of it when harassing the dog. Did we put it down, no.

Were it me, I'd do what he is doing...warn folks who are interested and adopt it out to someone who has been advised and who has the capacity to work with the pup and restrict the opportunities for any more defensive behavior.

Over the years, I've had guest dogs here while friends when off on foreign vacations. I've always had my own dog at the same time. In those instances, there have been a few defensive or aggressive instances with the visitor.

By the time the owners returned, the behaviors had stopped and been re-directed. (Of course I had to explain what went on to the owners and how to avoid bringing back the circumstances that invited the problem issues in the first place.)

As I recall, only had one "come to jayzuz" meeting with a pup...a terrier mix...in all that time. The terrier and I went on to be good friends for the rich, full, life it lived.

But I live alone in the country and act consistently.

Heck, if you guys were closer, I'd accept the dog for rehabilitation for a month or so and then get him back to the owner.

From the description, it is kind of a rare instance, not a behavior pattern.

Be a shame to put him down.

(my 2 cents worth)

I'm curious for an update on this story. What happened with the dog?

Last edited:
david0311

Let's think about this, it took a Bite at the hand that feeds it. Don't take a chance Put it Down.
I am a Dog lover but, I have no tolerance for one that could bite someone period. Your friend knows what needs done. Please do his before someone else gets bit.

Tried to resist responding to you post but can't help myself I guess---

Look at the pictures of the dog--especially his eye's-

Nip was a simply a reflect action-startle-reaction to a injury-

If owner feels need to move him to a different home--fine--but your simplistic and uniformed almost canned response to put the dog down makes no sense--and shows a lack of dog knowledge--JMO

Sorry if this offends you--I was tempted to be more blunt --But-- saw you were from Iowa-shoot-- a 1100--and were a rookie poster--:rolleyes:

my female GSP nipped me about 4 years ago while I was pulling a 1"

locust thorn out of her pad. Never thought anything of it, but a reaction to

being hurt.

Never had an issue since.

Carl

I let this go as long as I could.
This is a foolish knee jerk response.... Why would you post that with the info you had. With the info I have I'd give the dog a second chance with proper supervision.

Tried to resist responding to you post but can't help myself I guess---

Look at the pictures of the dog--especially his eye's-

Nip was a simply a reflect action-startle-reaction to a injury-

If owner feels need to move him to a different home--fine--but your simplistic and uniformed almost canned response to put the dog down makes no sense--and shows a lack of dog knowledge--JMO

Sorry if this offends you--I was tempted to be more blunt --But-- saw you were from Iowa-shoot-- a 1100--and were a rookie poster--:rolleyes:

Settle down guys and as my screen name states I'm from Iowa , i shoot a sbe2 and I'm adopting the dog tomorrow !:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Settle down guys and as my screen name states I'm from Iowa , i shoot a sbe2 and I'm adopting the dog tomorrow !:cheers:

Keep us updated. I bet he's an awesome dog!

Here is my thought process. Last Saturday I sent lazer a pm. He gave me the owners #. We had a couple phone conversations and i understand his issue. I asked a friend from the area to stop in and check the dog out for me. She thought the dog would be a nice fit with me and my tribe of missfitts:thumbsup:.If things go as planned we're sharing the travel costs and meeting half way Wednesday evening. :cheers:

Good on ya Buddy! Many happy years ahead for all of you I hope!:cheers: and for the guy that has to give him up. Thats got to be rough

Good luck with your new dog! He looks great and I'm sure you will have many great days in the field with him.

david0311

Here is my thought process. Last Saturday I sent lazer a pm. He gave me the owners #. We had a couple phone conversations and i understand his issue. I asked a friend from the area to stop in and check the dog out for me. She thought the dog would be a nice fit with me and my tribe of missfitts:thumbsup:.If things go as planned we're sharing the travel costs and meeting half way Wednesday evening. :cheers:

Thank you--your the man--good luck--bet you live the dog--:10sign::cheers:

david0311

Thank you--your the man--good luck--bet you love the dog--:10sign::cheers:

Wait you have friends in Minnesota? I thought everyone from Iowa hated Minnesotans... :p Or is that only on football and wrestling events

Back