German Shorthair-Iowa-looking for another GSP (breeder)

Shawk

Hey guys...

After a hiatus, I'm finally back at it. I used to spend 2-3 days a week chasing these birds around with our Brittany. Six years ago we brought home a new member (GSP) of household after we lost our Brittany with plans to hunt (though not as much) but haven't done much of anything until this year. Clearly times aren't what they used to be in my neck of the woods but I think it's time to add a 2nd lapdog/hunting buddy to cover habitat better and hopefully make a little more fun for each of us.
There's a breeder a short drive from me... Bob Merkel... Anyone have any direct dealings with him? My Brit was from his line of Brits before he got into GSP's and my GSP's mother was bred to one of his males. We've been thrilled with both as hunters and even more so as pets. Though I've never had any direct dealings with him... but I believe he's pretty well know in the GSP world??? Anyone here get a pup from him or others you'd recommend? I will do all training myself so I'm just looking for a good family pup that will hunt like a machine. ;) I'm willing to make a decent drive as well if I'm convinced it's worth it. Appreciate any thoughts.

Phone pic from today... one of the points on a hen that held tight. Pretty slim pickens and haven't hunted her much... but for 6 1/2 years old and in the field less than a dozen times in her lifetime, we're trying to make the most of it and she's getting the hang of what we are after (ha). It's ashame it's taken me this long to get her going but that's life, family, & work. We had a little fun today even without bagging a bird. Though that's my fault for not pulling the trigger on a sneaky, quiet, tailess bird flying into the sun that I didn't realize was a rooster until he crept just far enough out to not pull the trigger. :/

Last edited:
I don't know Bob at all but his reputation seems to be very good. It looks like he breeds dogs with some pretty good Dixieland background. If he is close to you, I would also look into Countryside Gundogs in Center Point. Jeff is awesome. He is a great trainer and has some very nice dogs. I believe he has a breeding coming up between Cooper and Mazzy this spring. They are both Master Hunters. I have a pup from that first breeding and I think she may be one of the best I have ever had. Jason Goslinga at Pro Shot Gundogs is in New Albin and also has some good litters coming up. I know he has a dog bred to Jeff's Cooper right now. Feel free to give me a call tomorrow and I would be glad to talk to you about either one of them. My son also has pups from Top Gun and Odyssey backgrounds that will be ready to go next week. He has 1 male and 1 female left. http://www.aspenhillgundogs.com/Puppies.html

Last edited:
Thanks Jeremy! From what I understand, Bob's been raising and competed for a long time (in his 70's or 80's??). It sounds like he's retired now but still has a litter or two a year. I'll touch base with a couple of these guys and a 3rd if needed to locate a spring pup. If I move forward, I really would prefer a pup coming home late April to May.

These are probably at the top of my list right now.
-Wrenegade Kennels (Bob Merkel)
-Topgun Kennels

Others I've found some good things on.
-Top Secret
-Countryside Gundogs
-Pro Shot Gundogs

Anyone have pups from the above or recommend anyone else??

I didn't realize we had this many decent breeders within a couple hours of me. I absolutely don't need a big name dog or breeder... but of course I want a dog that hunts well since I will definitely put the time in with her from day one. I paid a whopping $112 for my Brit years ago from a farmer an hour from me and I would have put her up against just about any dog when it came to bagging birds. Of course that was 20 years ago, but there were still big $'s spent on dogs then too. Our pup will be in the house and instantly become part of the family when she comes home regardless of how she hunts... (gulp-another GSP pup chewing up stuff to deal with! though once she hit about 8-10 months she truly became a saint and most importantly, my wife fell in love with her). Thanks for any/all recommendations.

All the best!
S...

Don't sell 6R Upland Kennels in Grinnell short, I've seen some really special dogs come out of there. I've got my eye on a litter planned for late spring.

Shoot me an email if you want to talk breeders/dogs. I am also shopping for a pup and have done some homework. okmagic AT gmail.com

I have purchased a few GSPs from Jeff at Countryside Kennels and have had him train a few dogs for me as well. I cannot say enough good things about Jeff and his commitment to honesty and the breed.

Thanks PB! After talking with another hunter/gsp owner/breeder I met in the field yesterday, I think I have enough info now to go with. I may talk with u just to catch up at some point though... or feel free to drop me a PM/email anytime. Good luck!!

S

I can personally attest to Bob Merkels dog's being top notch. I've owned one for 14.5 years. She's been retired for a couple years but she could get after it like nobodies business. Best dog I will ever have and miss hunting with her. You can't teach desire and she had it in spades. I spoke to the guy at 6r Upland a couple years ago. He's probably pretty close to where you live.

My Breez bitch is a Wrenegade (Merkel) dog. I absolutely love her. Small frame with a huge motor. Anxious to please, retrieves well, very soft mouthed, and covers ground like she's sailing.. She settles in the house or car like no other dog I've been around, but put her outside, and she'll put a smile on your face. :)

I have not done a thing to her, but take her hunting..

2013-01-07_14_51_44.jpg

I can personally attest to Bob Merkels dog's being top notch. I've owned one for 14.5 years. She's been retired for a couple years but she could get after it like nobodies business. Best dog I will ever have and miss hunting with her. You can't teach desire and she had it in spades. I spoke to the guy at 6r Upland a couple years ago. He's probably pretty close to where you live.

Thanks BD... I've met with Bob and couldn't be happier with getting things going with him. Hopefully all will work out and we'll bring home a buddy for my other GSP this spring. I'll update this thread or another with whatever happens. I'm sure I'll have a pic or two to post. ;)

My Breez bitch is a Wrenegade (Merkel) dog. I absolutely love her. Small frame with a huge motor. Anxious to please, retrieves well, very soft mouthed, and covers ground like she's sailing.. She settles in the house or car like no other dog I've been around, but put her outside, and she'll put a smile on your face. :)

I have not done a thing to her, but take her hunting..

I think I've seen that pic before... :) These kinds of pics never get old to look at! Hope you get a little quail hunting in before the end of the season. That's on my list for next next year with my pooch/pooches. My Brit and I ran into a nice covey one time while hunting her. That covey is literally the only wild covey I've seen in my life but all of my hunts have always been north of Interstate 80 and that one was MUCH farther up than 80 (and weren't pen raised either). ;) They scattered perfectly in some CRP... I could have easily went and picked off one or two for my Brit... but I was so thrilled to see them, I let 'em be. Next year I'll head somewhere and try to get on a covey or two.

Bob has a sister to my Breez bred, that since I lost Ellie this year, I will probably give him a call and see if he has one left for me.

I live up in MN and both my brother in law and I have GSP's from Chris of 6R Upland kennels. We are both very pleased. I see him once a year at the Game Fair and out of the clients he has he always remembers my name. Says something about the guy!

Back