Garmin Fenix (or other smartwatches, technology, etc.)

jackrabbit

Last winter I bought a Garmin Fenix 5X. I am looking for any creative ways that people use a watch or some other form of technology to help with their hunting? I currently just put it on walking activity during my hunts. Interesting to look back at it on a map after my hunt and see where exactly I hunted, how far I went, what ground I might have missed, where I went too fast, too slow, etc. All kind of useless stats, but interesting to me. I am curious if there is a better way of tracking things? Additional mapping or apps to download? Marking a pin when you see a rooster, etc?

I pair my Garmin Instinct with my Garmin Alpha so I can see where my dogs are at by looking at my watch in the field. The Instinct can do the same (if you haven't already done so).

I try to remember to drop pins on the map with my Alphas map but I hardly remember to do so. I do love tracking how many miles my dogs have gone on a particular field or day of hunting, as long as I remember to turn off the Alpha handheld when I get to the truck and move to a new spot. My Alpha will also track how many miles I've gone as well.

The old addage of "your dog runs 3 times as many miles as you do" I've found is almost spot on. If I go 2 miles, theyve gone 6 miles almost exactly.

One interesting thing I've found, or interesting difference between my 2 year old and my 9 year olds is that in the same field, my 2 year old will do about a mile or so more than my 9 year old does. Same walk, the young dog just runs that much more compared to the methodical old dog.

One interesting thing I've found, or interesting difference between my 2 year old and my 9 year olds is that in the same field, my 2 year old will do about a mile or so more than my 9 year old does. Same walk, the young dog just runs that much more compared to the methodical old dog.
What I've noticed is those young dogs are great and cover ground, but the old dogs have the nose and experience. Kind of like comparing NFL QB's... A young and athletic Justin Herbert or Patrick Mahomes is great and has lots of potential, but that old timer like Tom Brady is just smart, efficient, and effective, although not as athletic.

I'd agree with that. My young dog has a great nose, in training I've watched her lock up on point 40 yards down wind from a planted bird. But in the field when she's all geeked up, I've watched her run past a bird, turn around then lock up. My old dog doesn't do that, she just comes right in and locks up. My young dog is just tripping over herself right now but in time, she'll get there. Her brain just goes a mile a minute out there. The old dogs know what they're doing and don't waste any unnecessary effort while doing it.

Following. I just bought a 5 plus to pair with my 550+. Pretty excited to try them out together!!

Back