Garden City, SD Area?

Trying a new area with some friends this year and wondering if anyone on the forum has hunted the area. We will be hunting in the Garden City area in early November and would like to hear from anyone that has hunted in that area. Thanks!!

This area (Clark County) is not the best area of the state. A friend of mine stayed in Clark and hunted south at a private farm - good hunting but now plowed for crops. Check the brood survey for Watertown; 1.5 birds per mile this year and only .81 per mile last year.

Suggest you head south...and west for better hunting.

I hunt north of that area and have not had a bad day hunting. Plenty of opportunities all day with limits achievable early if I was a better shot. There are a few really good places in the Lilly and Condi area. I come from Ohio and last year I read all the doom and gloom and just almost took the year off but didn't. Close to the area you're looking at I saw more birds than I could count. Anyway try it and travel all around don't be afraid to put some miles on.

Not an area I have hunted in a long time but as a freelancer if a guy is flexible about where and what types of cover he will hunt, will invest in some scouting and can figure out how to take advantage of the golden hour a good trip can be had most anywhere in the SD pheasant range. The caveat there could be avoiding areas with lingering effects from the 2017 drought....

Doesn't always work out for me but I will usually choose an area with more public land options and less birds over one with more birds and limited public access.

If you are fortunate enough to be hunting a good sized chunk of private land with good cover then I'd like your odds....

Give it a try

Trying a new area with some friends this year and wondering if anyone on the forum has hunted the area. We will be hunting in the Garden City area in early November and would like to hear from anyone that has hunted in that area. Thanks!!

I have hunted about 50 miles NW of Garden City for the past several years on private land. I think its a decent area If you are willing to put some miles on your boots. We seem to hunt a lot of cattail, but have been successful.

Back