Game shears

I know this has been a topic before but what kind of game shear do you use to clean the birds. I have an old pair of gerber game shears and they were the best. I am looking to find a new pair of shear to buy and the new gerber shear are junk! What do you suggest?

Gerber Shears

Gerber is made by Fiskars....I have both... they are both pretty good and affordable... I have had the high dollar shears from cabelas and they are junk...I have gone to 3/4 inch by pass pruning shears for wings and feet...I use the shears on the backs of the birds. This keeps them sharper too. Hope this helps!?!?

Kick'em Up!

I have some scissors that were used for cutting sports tape off of athletes. They work awesome. I also have a pair of the Cabelas stainless and they suck.

A few years ago I bought the "high quality" cabelas shears and they are horrible! Last year I found a pair of Gerbers at the local farm and ranch store and they're awesome!

I had a pair of Gerbers and they were good until I left them on the dog box and now they are somewhere in western Kansas. I didn't want to spend much money on something I lose so I went to the dollar store and got a pair of pultry shears for a dollar and they are awesome. They have a half circle on one blade to put the bone in and it works great. Best shears ever.

Buck Shears

I have Buck brand game shears. They're dandy.

What method are you using? I use shears to remove the lower legs, wings and head, making sure to leave one on for transport.

Rut

What method are you using? I use shears to remove the lower legs, wings and head, making sure to leave one on for transport.

Rut

Same here rut, i also use the shears to cut down each side of the the backbone that way all the guts just fall out, its the way i was taught and the easiest that ive seen.

Rut

If you mean me, well I just peel the skin and slice the boneless breast off. Then peel it down the leg to the Knuckle, snap it sideways to leave the nice rounded end, and zip the foot off with the fillet knife. Then if you snap and peel the thigh joint right it rips right off. For travel I would peel the whole skin off and gut and do it later. But I am usually home so I don't hardly ever gut. The bird looks whole when I am done and don't spill more then a couple feathers. I do this with the knuckles so not to have those razor sharp ends. Wings I would just twist off at a knuckle in a few seconds.

A couple years ago a guy showed me his method for removing the wings and 1 foot with a hatchet. He laid a board down on his tailgate and went whack, whack, whack. I was using good game shears right next to him. My job was neater, but he cleaned twice as many birds in the same amount of time.

I have used that method a couple times since then, whenever I remember to bring a hatchet.... It is really efficient once you get the hang of it. The guy who showed me the method shoots and eats a ton of pheasants...

On the other hand, if I make a day trip and clean the birds back at home I will just fillet the breast off and then cut the legs at the joints. Makes life easy and that's how I cook them anyway.

I used to process all my pheasants that way, but was told that it's illegal to travel with birds that have been "quartered".

I have done the stand on the wings thing too. Legal transport if you don't have the legs separate. Here they would have to be attatched. I don't like too many legs so I give them to my friends etc. I will keep a few for soup from time to time. So If I travel this is how I would clean them. Then a sandwich bag over the breast so it does not sit on the feathers in the cooler.

Back