Fuzzy dog problems

padave

I have a problem with hitch hikers, stickers etc. in my GWPs face. What's the best way of dealing with this issue with out ripping the poor dogs hair out.

I'm use to bullet proof labs and this fragile high maintenance pointer is a whole new world to me.

Fragile?

I've used a steel-tined comb I carry with me as part of my hunting kit, and take my time extricating weed seeds from my GWPs.

I've read of using PAM, a spray used for pans to make them non-sticky, but didn't want to spray something in my dogs' faces and nose.

I also trim my GWPs back a bit when season arrives.

Other folks have used Vaseline, lightly applied, if I recall correctly.

Best wishes.

If you go to a farm store and look for a product called "Cowboy Magic". This product is used by horse owners on horses mains and tails when they get in the burrs and weed seeds. It is very effective and a little goes a long way. Just apply a little rub it in and comb out the burrs. This stuff really works.

I can't bring myself to trim my GWP's beard. However, a steel comb takes burrs right out of it (and everywhere else she gets them). I've stashed one in every vehicle and in the hunting bag.

I've kind of pissed off a couple of buddies who hunt Brits. After a tough day the dogs are all burred up, they are in there cutting out the really wound in burrs and cussing. I'm done in just a short couple of drama free minutes! :D

That was actually a decision point when I was deciding what breed to get. I love the Brits, but they are definitely higher maintenance.

Last edited:
Back