Frost seeding NWSGs?

GSP

I was poking through the PF habitat guide the other day and noticed that they seperated out switchgrass as the only NWSG that should be frost seeded. Can anyone tell me why the other NWSGs don't lend themselves to frost seeding?

Thats interesting beause NRCS lets us frost seed all kinds of WSG and forbes in our CP25 and CP2 mixes.

It might be more the necessity to frost seed switch grass in order for it to stratify since it is a very hard seed. The other NWSGs don't need a stratification period and you'll find good germination (assuming good soil-seed contact) whether you frost seed in February or broadcast in late May.

That's a very good point. Perhaps that is what they were eluding to.

I thought it was strange. But they kinda go out of their way when talking about frost seeding that it only relates to switch.

Oh well, with this warm up, I have missed my window of opportunity for frost seeding this year any way. Who woulda believed damn near 80 today in Mid-Michigan...

Oh well, with this warm up, I have missed my window of opportunity for frost seeding this year any way. Who woulda believed damn near 80 today in Mid-Michigan...
I'm in the same boat and yes, it's hard to believe how warm it is. The mosquitoes are out already! :eek:

Most of the other seeds also have feathery beards and awns that lend themselves to movement in the wind. Not getting them in close seed/soil contact results in significant loss of seed or, at best, drifting of seed after being moved by wind.

Most of the other seeds also have feathery beards and awns that lend themselves to movement in the wind. Not getting them in close seed/soil contact results in significant loss of seed or, at best, drifting of seed after being moved by wind.

Great explanation. Thank you.

I just offered 200 acres to CRP for cp 25. I plan to frost seed it all after Nov. 1.

I would fforst seed everything. We did a cp37 and did half frost seed and half in spring and the frost seeded crp came in much better than spring planted. Godd luck!

Back