Fried Phez

duckn66

I usually bake my phez but tonight I fried one up. Took the breast meat off of the breast along with the legs.

Dip them in a flour/salt/pepper mix then into 2 cups of milk with one beaten egg added then over to the cracker crumbs. Fried it up and boy oh boy was it ever good.

Only thing I would do different is make phez fingers instead of frying the whole breast.

Enjoyed mine out on the back deck sizzled/drizzled on the grill (marinated in white wine & vinagrette), along with a baked potato & choice European beverage as complimentary accoutrements on a sunny CO afternoon - a pretty simple, laid back way to enjoy the harvest... :cheers:

That sounds good too! But, my grill is still drifted in with snow! LOL. May have to try that sometime.

WOW!!!! Makes me hungry! Chunk up meat the size of half dollars, wrap in thick sliced bacon, 1/2 slice per piece, on grill with Q-sauce, when done, top with 1/4 piece of pepper jack cheese and tooth pick till cheese is melted. Make about 50 and munch all day!:cheers:

Rod

I had fried pheasant and fried dove yesterday at dinner. Oh so good! I usually cut the larger muscle into strips that resemble the smaller muscle. Makes finding stray shot a lot easier when held up to a light too.

I usually bake my phez but tonight I fried one up. Took the breast meat off of the breast along with the legs.

Dip them in a flour/salt/pepper mix then into 2 cups of milk with one beaten egg added then over to the cracker crumbs. Fried it up and boy oh boy was it ever good.

Only thing I would do different is make phez fingers instead of frying the whole breast.

what do you fry it in, oil or butter?

I use some Fryin Magic to roll the meat in and I'm partial to a half stick of butter, then saute the meat to a nice golden brown. yes it's soooooo good.

I used a deep skillet and put about 1 inch of canola oil in it. When I do quail I usually use butter because it tastes better to me. With quail you can get away with it cause it doesn't take as long to cook.

Try this with your doves. Take the breasts and wrap them in bacon ( the old stand by), cut up some green pepper, onion, potato, ( quarter these) and some fresh carrots, Put it all in aluminum foil with butter and an maybe an ice cube or two. Season however you want. Bake for about 45 mins at around 350. The ice cube will make steam to help steam the veggies.

@Swellcat--LOL!!! "Si, yo hablo poco espanol tambien, pero por lo mas parte"...I didn't think 'Julie & Julia (Childs)' would go over so well on this he-man forum, so Senor Julio is the closest male chef-of-the-imagination play on words that I could come up with spur-of-the-moment! :D

I do like having a good cook in hunting camp though (and only a couple of my friends really fit the bill)...Cause usually if it's dependent on me & most of my buds, half the time it's gonna be sandwiches & potato chips or pork-n-beans! :)

P.S. How do you find those accent marks on the computer to put over the letters for Spanish words?

How do you find those accent marks on the computer to put over the letters for Spanish words?

The alt/option key pressed with most any other will get you all kinds of craziness. Alt + shift + other key, too.

http://www.studyspanish.com/accents/typing.htm

But back to the food. Julia Child is great, and she was the inspiration for this beautifully done bird, roasted pheasant stuffed with sage and Granny Smith apples.

520.jpg

Mmh, Mmh, that sure looks good Swellcat! :thumbsup: Gotta get out & get me a couple more roosters to "pluck" with skin left on & try out this recipe before season's end!...All of my birds in the freezer right now are whole, but they were skinned for ease & quickness in cleaning...Been telling myself all season long to take the time to pluck at least a couple for finer recipes such as Julia's!

Back