French Brittany

Toad

I am about to put down my deposit on my first French Britt. The pups are due in about a month, and obviously we are very excited! I have two friends with dogs from a previous breeding between the sire and a sister of the dam, so I have a pretty good idea of the quality of hunter I'll be getting. The whole family is excited to have a puppy in the house, and I'm excited about the puppy as well as the hunting dog it will grow into.

Just wondering who else on the forum runs French Brits. Feel free to post up some pics or brag up your little dog. I would love to see your pics and hear your stories. :cheers:

I am about to put down my deposit on my first French Britt. The pups are due in about a month, and obviously we are very excited! I have two friends with dogs from a previous breeding between the sire and a sister of the dam, so I have a pretty good idea of the quality of hunter I'll be getting. The whole family is excited to have a puppy in the house, and I'm excited about the puppy as well as the hunting dog it will grow into.

Just wondering who else on the forum runs French Brits. Feel free to post up some pics or brag up your little dog. I would love to see your pics and hear your stories. :cheers:

Where are you getting your Frenchy from? my coworker has a deposit down on a french brit too.

I have owned 10 Brittany’s over my hunting career 2 of which were French britts They are some of the most loyal and Bidable dogs I have owned . Congratulations on your pup and post pictures when you get him or her !!!

Where are you getting your Frenchy from? my coworker has a deposit down on a french brit too.

I don't know if he has an official kennel business, or if he would appreciate me posting his name online. If you're looking for a dog, I would share his contact info privately though...

I tracked him down through a different breeder who owned a sister to his dam and used his male as a sire. Two friends of mine have some super dogs from that other breeder, so I'm optimistic that my dog will turn out like theirs. I guess we'll see!

Good luck to your friend.

I have owned 10 Brittany’s over my hunting career 2 of which were French britts They are some of the most loyal and Bidable dogs I have owned . Congratulations on your pup and post pictures when you get him or her !!!

I'm glad to hear they were good dogs for you. Cooperative dogs make hunting so much more fun. I'll definitely post up some pics when she arrives.

20 years of running Frenchies. You’ll love em.

That's pretty great loyalty to the breed! How many have you had in that time? I think if I go back exactly 20 years, it would include at least part of the lives of three hunting dogs and two pet dogs. Actually, I took all 5 on hunting trips, but only 3 really hunted... I enjoyed the variety of having the different breeds. However, if FBs live up to their reputation, there should be a lot of long-term advantages to the French Britt.

Where did you get your French Spaniel?
My sister bought him 12 years ago from a breeder near Montreal. He lived in with her in the St Paul till he was 6.5. Never hunted until he came to us that Fall. He is really a good hunter. Definitely on the glide slope of his career though.

There is a French Spaniel breeder by Dodge Center, MN. His name is Paul Fischenich. I hunted with him and some of his dogs in South Dakota about 10 years ago. Very nice dogs.

http://www.minnesotafrenchspaniels.com/

Unfortunately there was a freak accident with this litter, and none of the female pups survived. So I will be back in the market for a pup as soon as I get my deposit back from the breeder. If anybody knows of available pups from a reputable breeder, please post or PM. Thanks!

I haven't 100% decided what I am going to do yet, but I imagine I will move quickly once I make up my mind.

Sorry to hear it toad. I know you don't want to go this route but gun dog classifieds has had several litters of wirehairs lately. I'm Leary of things like that too. But I see some names I know on there also. On point has pups on there occasionally. Gurley is there. Jeremy S has a really nice litter of shorthair on the ground now. If it's the same Jeremy. There is litter of draahts in newton that I saw on gdc or kansas hunting and fishing cant remember which. I think they were just born or will be shortly.
http://www.vdd-gna.org/breeders/

Sorry to hear it toad. I know you don't want to go this route but gun dog classifieds has had several litters of wirehairs lately. I'm Leary of things like that too. But I see some names I know on there also. On point has pups on there occasionally. Gurley is there. Jeremy S has a really nice litter of shorthair on the ground now. If it's the same Jeremy. There is litter of draahts in newton that I saw on gdc or kansas hunting and fishing cant remember which. I think they were just born or will be shortly.
http://www.vdd-gna.org/breeders/

Thanks for the tip about the DD breeder in Newton! I have been emailing with them and they seem legit. They won't have pups available until December, but they sound like they should be pretty great dogs. Of course, by then, my French Brittany guy might have pups again, and then what the heck am I going to do...

To make matters worse, a friend suggested a litter of GSPs that sound pretty good, and are on the ground right now... Too many choices.

hi Toad, and to others who have inputted...
just wanted to hear what you decided, I am interested in the French brittanys myself, never owned a pointing dog... but attended the field trial in Amour S. Dakota in April....

the seem genuine, and not full of breeding faults imo... dustin

Nothing is official yet, but I am getting the list narrowed down pretty well... Wisely, I avoided going to look at litters of GSP puppies, because it is just too hard to say no to puppies regardless of the breed...

I'll say this, when you're looking for a dog, the members of this site can be a pretty helpful network. If you let people know what you are looking for, they are pretty good about keeping an ear to the ground for you. I received multiple, very helpful PMs about this thread from members on this site. Most of these guys I know only through the site, and have never met face to face. It's a really good group of people here.

hi Toad, and to others who have inputted...
just wanted to hear what you decided, I am interested in the French brittanys myself, never owned a pointing dog... but attended the field trial in Amour S. Dakota in April....

the seem genuine, and not full of breeding faults imo... dustin

Back