Freelance MT birds

A few of us are starting to plan a trip to MT for 2016 in September. We have never hunted in MT and want to chase some huns and sharpies but also would like to get into a couple sage grouse if feasible. I'm not looking for a map to your honey holes but just some advice and input on how the public land is and if like SD and Iowa you can knock on doors to find private land to hunt? We don't need a dog or guide but would be willing to pay trespass fee for good property.

Thanks in advance for the input!:thumbsup:

You are talking about an incredibly large state with countless places to hunt. Although it doesn't have the bird numbers of SD & ND, MT is my favorite state to hunt due to the beauty, friendly people, and wide variety of bird and terrain to hunt.

Scour maps, determine how far you want to drive, and check out the link below for some info on hunting upland in MT. I have hunted public land every time I've been there and had little trouble seeing birds.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/uplandgamebird/accessGuide.html

If you are looking for grouse, look at Sage Grouse population density map to get a general idea of locations. Then look at the Montana website for public lands in the area. That is how I do it.

Good luck

Back