Fox(s) dug in and killed near 50 Pheasants and chukars last night

onpoint

Cost me about $500.00 and we will have no birds for egg hatching next spring.

I have about had it with predators. :(:(:(:(:(:(:

Cost me about $500.00 and we will have no birds for egg hatching next spring.

I have about had it with predators. :(:(:(:(:(:(:

Too bad. I hope you are able to rebound.

I traded a full blood AKC GSP pup for these birds. Then have raised them up. They all had blinders on and where near full grown. My wife spent a ton of time raising these birds, she's just sick. I'm declaring war...hell cometh their way.

Man, that flat out sucks. Sorry to hear it. I know how much time goes into getting birds up and going. Starting over takes a long time.

I lost my entire flock of homers this past Spring to what I'm thinking must have been a mink or weasel. Just now getting the flock built back up.

Onpoint,

Sorry to hear this, about your birds. I hope you have some double oo Buck shot, to enact some revenge on the fox/foxes.

Fox got into mine to. Got him, but I have only 7 pheasants left. 3 roosters, 4 hens.
Skunks got into the pen first, got the skunks to, not before they did their damage.
You know those predators are persistent critters.:(

I had this happen in my pen once. Killed all of em. About 125. So I ran galv 1x2" square mesh wire 2 feet out on the ground and steaked it down, with the stuff fastened to the chicken wire and posts good. The grass grows up through it and you don't even see it. I mow right over it. i have had them try but have not had any get under again. They always try to dig next to the fence and can't. I still get the ocasinal Owl that will pin a bird or that weasel. but they at least won't clean you out before you can do something about it. Try it it works well.

I don't know if this works with chuckers or not? I used to raise turkey with my chickens never lost a bird as long as there was a turkey in the pen.
They work good as gaurd dogs for the feather friends.

Tally ho chaps!.. "RELEASE the hounds!"

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Just wondering-- is this normal behavior for a fox? I've had the occasional loss from raccoons but they rarely take more than 1 or 2. Sounds like a dog to me. Possible?

We are over run with Foxes. No dogs around here but mine and they are in. also the hole that was dug was too small for a dog. Another thing, a fox is a efficient killer. They will kill the whole pen of birds. I had the top netted and tarped too with a large calf hutch for cover. The wife had logs inside and out along the fence bottom. He dug under and moved the log enough to get in. I don't know if we are going to raise anymore. I have let near a 100 birds loose and not a one makes more then a few months. When we live with a government that protects nearly every predator. What can one expect?

Shadow, with the dogs around, traps are dangerous. I hate setting mouse traps for the field mice that are trying to make a home in my wood pile. I don't want anything bad to happen to my dogs. I know Chuck and I'm sure he feels the same as I do.....Bob

Just wondering-- is this normal behavior for a fox? I've had the occasional loss from raccoons but they rarely take more than 1 or 2. Sounds like a dog to me. Possible?

Well that is actualy what got mine as well. But I use conni bear traps and leg holds for fox or whatever is around at the time. I just set them in the eve after dogs are in and un set them in the AM before they go out. I useualy have the problem solved in a few days, then rest the traps till another stops in.

GRRrrrr, a Skunk sprayed my male GSP in the front yard tonight. What the hell is next?

Never rains but it pours Chuck, I hope you can get all the smell out of him. Do a google search there are some cleaners that will take it out......Bob

The wife used Peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dish soup. It's most likely a good thing I didn't find the skunk last night. I was so ticked off, I grabbed the first gun and shells handy. Which was my wife's Remington SP-10 which was standing in the corner and the nearest shells were 3.5" T's. Not something I probably should be hunting a skunk with in our yard among cars, trucks, equipment, boats, Etc. Hey!!! I was in a hury

Back