Flying with your dog

Have been planning a trip to Montana this October. Originally planned to drive the 20+ hours from Indiana with a buddy and our dogs. We now have a good connection in Bozeman/Livingston area and the discussion is more towards flying into Bozeman. Make more sense with the time we have. I want to know what experiences people have had with putting their dog in the cargo bay for a flight. It just doesn’t sound good. Thanks

2 part insight. 1) outside temperatures have to be in a certain range; not too hot or too cold. Shouldn’t have a problem in October.
2) I think a lot has to do with your dogs personality/temperament. I certainly wouldn’t put a shy or insecure dog in there. I flew one of my dogs from Denver to NY and back to get bred and had no problems whatsoever.

I flew my lab down for the winter from Alaska to Montana on Alaska Airlines.
Alaska Airlines is probably the best airline for flying dogs, they do fly lots of dogs in and out of AK.

I’ve used Delta quite a few times. I feel there’s little risk.

A lot of airlines have changed pet procedures since Covid. Check with them as early as you can to see what’s required. Last dog I shipped the airline would not allow pet as checked baggage or even air cargo. I had to go through a freight forwarder even though the owner is on the flight!

As previously mentioned, Temperature will be your biggest hurdle this time of year. Most airlines have temperature rules. This is Delta:

“We don’t ship pets during extreme weather. This includes if the temperature exceeds 80˚F (27˚C) or if the temperature falls below 20˚F (-7˚C) while the animal is on the ground at any point in the routing. A Certificate of Acclimation is required when temperatures fall between 20˚F (-7˚C) and 45˚F (7˚C).”

Delta wont fly dogs below 20F degrees!
My vet in Alaska would always write on the Health Certificate "Acclimated to -40 degrees"
A couple of years ago I was flying out of Faibanks at -35 degrees F and there were lots of dog crates (and dogs)
on that flight to Seattle. Thats why I like Alaska Airlines.

The other thing I like about Alaska (unlike Delta) is you can call to reserve for your dog on your flight,
leave your phone number and they will call you back. No waiting on hold.
Last time I tried Delta, they wanted me to hold on the phone for 50 minutes.

Back