First trip with young griffon

This fall in contemplating a short trip for pheasants with my griffon pup, with SW MN being one of my possible destinations. I'd like to get her on some wild birds and just let her have fun learning how to hunt some skittish fowl. As if right now the plan is to be up there the Monday following the opener and stay for two or three nights. How is the pressure in the SW corner during the opener? Will the birds be on lockdown early in the week? Fun is the game but I'd really like to get Mia her first bird.

You should be fine. Saturday of opener is a zoo! Sunday is half the people and weekdays you will have it mostly to your self. Im sure there will be plenty of young dumb wild roosters for the new pup! Pm me if you need anymore help or a few tips on were to go.

Like Tbear said, the opening weekend is a zoo. During the week you will have less competition. But instead of being there on Monday I would suggest letting the field rest for a day or two. Start your hunt no earlier than Tuesday or Wednesday.

david0311

Like Tbear said, the opening weekend is a zoo. During the week you will have less competition. But instead of being there on Monday I would suggest letting the field rest for a day or two. Start your hunt no earlier than Tuesday or Wednesday.

Good advice from Zeb on waiting a extra day or so--

Just thought I would add the best part of SW MN is you are close to SD--thats where I would head -if possible=

Before it hits the fan--

I've hunted and lived in SW MN for years and been a MN resident for all my life--but for birds I would keep going west--

Right now, I'm considering N. IA, SW MN and SD for my short trip with the pup. I have a stretch of days off right after the opener, leading me towards MN.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to bird hunting. I've been loyal to chasing whitetails with the stick and string and have always wanted to chase birds so I went for it, started reading training books, watching DVDs and picked up a pup. I also joined NAVHDA and have been able to attend for training day over the summer here in Northern IL. I'm really excited for my first season.

I think I'll probably head up to MN on Monday and spend the afternoon checking out different parcels before getting after it on Tuesday morning.

Best wishes.

For those early hunt nerves, just remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

I'm a thousand years old, and still have to tell myself that at least once every season. :)

Gonna be fun.

What part of the state are you going to be in? Monday evening would be nice to get out at least. I might be able to give you a few spots depending on the area you are going.

I may be delaying a week due to an emergent business trip for the wife but I'm maybe checking out the area around Heron Lake or Granite Falls.

Back