First trip to Kansas

Lee192233

Hey guys, I'm finally going to head west to go upland hunting late November or early December. I'm thinking about north central and west judging from the Kansas game and fish site. Looks like there's a good amount of WIHA land. It's most likely going to be 2 guys and an English Cocker Spaniel and a lab.Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance for your help! Shoot straight, Lee.

have a big 4x4 or hope & pray for no rain them roads turn to snot/goo/gumbo just add water wear there is house ur ok just past it the road may be goo that was last house etc. ill be our there my self same time fram good luck to u its my 1st fall trip been lots of times in spring turkey season...

was more east but seen lots of pheasant & some quail 1 p chicken while drive n backroads looked good to me this april im coming back after the KS opener be crazy then im sure its always nuts on turkey opener lots if CO hunters drove us farther east

Thanks for the replies and info. How busy are the public areas during the week? I'm used having a group of guys for every 40 acres of public land that I hunt here on opening weekend. Is it possible to gain access to private land? I've got a bunch of smoked salmon that I was thinking about bringing along to sweeten the pot. I imagine it's just a matter of burning boot leather to find the good public land spots. Thanks again your time and info! Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Lee

I would stay away from Thanksgiving , a lot of family back in town and quite a few hunting , rifle deer season gets as much or more activity in a number of areas than upland hunting . Rifle deer season starts the first Wednesday after Thanksgiving and goes through the 2nd weekend of dec .

I have seen some of the worst hunters during deer season slinging lead , driving deer .

Not everyone is like this but when you have heard a couple bullets slapping up against the barn you have permission to be in and hunt out of you get concerned .

I would stay away from Thanksgiving , a lot of family back in town and quite a few hunting , rifle deer season gets as much or more activity in a number of areas than upland hunting . Rifle deer season starts the first Wednesday after Thanksgiving and goes through the 2nd weekend of dec .

I have seen some of the worst hunters during deer season slinging lead , driving deer .

Not everyone is like this but when you have heard a couple bullets slapping up against the barn you have permission to be in and hunt out of you get concerned .

What he said. :cheers:

I hope you have a great hunt. I'm all for out-of-state hunters coming to Kansas. But be aware that our bird numbers are very low due to years of drought. Since you're coming from WI, why would you bypass ND and SD where the bird numbers in bad years far exceed KS bird numbers in decent years? But maybe it's a road trip thing and you are hunting in SD too. There is lots of free walk-in land in KS too.

Last edited:
Small musterlaner is correct. Pray for no rain. Those dirt roads are like driving on solid ice when they get wet. We have had to push and pull trucks that get stuck on the flat roads after it rains. Especially on opening weekend when everybody is out driving on them. As for your amount of hunter questions. On opening weekend it is a zoo on most public lands. We camp at our location so that we have are spot reserved, even though that has not stopped some people from walking through are campground to hunt our location. If you stay away from opening weekend you will be fine as far as having a lot of the fields to yourself.

I hope you have a great hunt. I'm all for out-of-state hunters coming to Kansas. But be aware that our bird numbers are very low due to years of drought. Since you're coming from WI, why would you bypass ND and SD where the bird numbers in bad years far exceed KS bird numbers in decent years? But maybe it's a road trip thing and you are hunting in SD too. There is lost of free walk-in land in KS too.

My cousin works for Pheasants Forever in Colorado so we're going to meet up in Kansas. Bird numbers are relative, I think. I'm used to hunting all day for pheasants and not even flushing a bird. I hunt every weekend during the season in WI and it's a good year if I shoot ten birds! I'd be happy with 5-10 flushes a day.

The last three years you could hunt in kansas and not flush a bird. Honestly I could care less of limits, but not seeing a hen all day frankly gets boring for both man and dog. This year should be better.

The last three years you could hunt in kansas and not flush a bird. Honestly I could care less of limits, but not seeing a hen all day frankly gets boring for both man and dog. This year should be better.

My cousin works for Pheasants Forever in Colorado so we're going to meet up in Kansas. Bird numbers are relative, I think. I'm used to hunting all day for pheasants and not even flushing a bird. I hunt every weekend during the season in WI and it's a good year if I shoot ten birds! I'd be happy with 5-10 flushes a day.

You've got the right attitude. Enjoy your hunt.

i agree KS is down from its hay day only real reason im even toss n around ks is because i have the hunting license from turkey season thats still valid... + i seen the most roosters this spring then any other year ive been going that since 2010-2011 i think...

if not for the chance of quail & chickens thrown in its hard to justify going to ks just for pheasants ...

i never herd of many farmers with there hand out so maybe save the salmon for maybe a gift after wear ive hunted the locals didnt care for non res leaseing up wihas after offering the wiha landowner more $ then the state would give... a chat handshake and maybe some beershould do it its not like SD wear most want $ 4 you to hunt

Thanks to all of you who were kind enough to give me a little advice. I'm optimistic that we will have a good hunt. Looks like I'm going to skip the gun deer season opener here in WI(First time in 22 years!). I'll pray for dry weather and lots of birds. If I come up with any more questions as we get closer I'll post them here, thanks again!

I have hunted Kansas public land from the beginning of the season up to Christmas. I have never had a problem with roads or too many hunters. The people in Kansas are very nice to us outsiders. I have had problems in the last 3 years or so finding birds. The last two years got me one bird each of the 5 day hunt. I have run into a couple of bow hunters and that is chilling since I didn't know they were there. I always drive the roads around the section I want to hunt before I go in. That way I know I have it to myself.

Back