First timer maybe

0fer2

Hi all

I've never hunted Nebraska before but am considering it. I have 9 month old lab pup I'd like to get into more birds. I've hunted SD and ND in the past, and this year hunted MN only. I am sure a lot of changes as well to habitat loss with the ag boom.

So my questions are-and no I don't expect you to give up the candy store!

Are there areas in the state with more hardscrabble land and wheat or other small grain fields?

Are there parts of the state with more CRP or set aside land?

Is it easier to get permission to hunt private late in the season?

Any help is appreciated

Dan

Hi Dan, not trying to talk you out of the Nebraska trip but from where you live you would have to drive through SD to get there??? I would have a hard time with that! I hunt Nebraska because it is a manageable drive for me and SD is a lot further! For every rooster you see in Nebraska you will see 500 in SD! And that is not an exaggeration!

Thanks QuailBob. Was wondering if I was going to get any replies. Its a start.

Why Nebraska? Because ND and SD season ends Jan 3, and I can't squeeze in a 3-5 day trip between now and then.

We all know habitat isn't what it was, but certainly there must be part(s) of the state that are traditionally better. I wouldn't even mind a mixed hunt with sharpies huns and quail mixed in

Dan

Never seen a Hun in Nebraska? They say they are there but ? Probably north east corner? Sharpies also north half of the state Sandhills possibly!? East side for quail.... You might have a great hunt let us know?

Nothing beats SW NE, in my mind, if you were planning on a couple day trip and putting in some miles. Many of the counties in the SW have small grain stubble field management that actually looked pretty decent this fall, last time I was out in the area, and also quality public grounds along with good numbers in my opinion. I have had good luck in the NE counties as well but there is limited public land and I have had about a 30% success rate knocking on doors. If you have never hunted NE I would definitely seize the opportunity. Good Luck and report back if you end up going.

Hi Dan, if you want to make a Jan. trip your options are pretty limited. Either Kansas or Nebraska is about it. I have hunted both (Kansas only once last year and it was tough). Bird numbers have been way down in both states for a few years. Habitat related like everywhere, but they really suffered from extensive droughts (unlike us with too much water and snow). The good news is bird numbers seem to be up everywhere this year. From what I have heard SW NE is doing better too, although probably not as good as pre-drought yet. But if you have a young dog and want to hunt it's always worth a trip. I'm kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum. My red setter is pushing 10 years old and still hunts damn hard, but I know he doesn't have a lot of years left, so.... I'm probably heading down there this Jan. as well. There are a few quail and prairie chickens as well, although the chickens are probably pretty spooky by now. There is a fair amount of "public" land but really most of it is private and in some type of Walk-In program (they have several). I have not tried knocking on many doors - mostly because it's such big country and finding the owner seems daunting. Most of their true public land is tied up in large blocks around reservoirs. They are typically more brushy and might be better for quail. The NE website has maps of the different types. They do some active stubble field management with wheat fields. I have never tried hunting those and would be happy if anyone here could tell me how or if that works well. The stuff is usually about 12-18" tall and pretty thick but I don't know if the birds will hold or if it's tough on the dog? Any help out there from anyone that's hunted those??? One thing to keep in mind, is there can be some fields with a lot of sand burs and other sticky things, so you might want to bring some dog booties. We ran into a few spots where I had to carry the dog out of (good thing setters are light!) There are also some cactus spears I was afraid of the dog blinding himself on, but he seemed to learn to avoid those pretty quickly. Good luck if you go! If you see a truck with MN plates and a couple old guys trying to keep up with a fast red dog stop to say Hello!
Randy

Alright Randy! I have been looking at the SW and rest of panhandle area on BING maps. I love the resolution of their satellite imagery. Lots of hardscrabble lands for sure. Hadn't thought about the sand burs and prickly little cactus, although west rive SD have run into the little cactus. I know the Nebraska outlook for this season was western Neb, based on mail carrier counts.

I would imagine you have a bigger battle with burs on your red setter!! I have a 7 year old lab as well, hes money on pheasants and hunts hard hard hard but usually don't have to run with him. Solid retriever as well.

Well, if we go we'll be looking for ya! Merry Christmas and a Joyous Adventure filed New Year to you rooster hunters.

Dan

How have you guys been doing late season? I am thinking about making the trip down for one last late season hunt. I would be hunting Northcentral/Northeast Nebraska. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

Back