First shotgun purchase

Dami0101

I?m buying my first shotgun, up until this point I?ve used my uncles old SKB 12 gauge pump. I don?t have a lot of money to spend and need to keep it around $600 or less. I hunt pheasant, grouse, duck and might go after geese once a year. Because of the waterfowl and the budget, I was thinking I?d end up with a better gun by not looking at an O/U. So right now I?m looking at the Stoeger 3500 but I wanted to see if others had suggestions on other guns I should be looking at.

Browning BPS and Benelli SuperNova are what my kids use.

I like pump shotguns for waterfowl hunting if the conditions are wet, really cold or dusty (fields).

The CZ Drake looks good, maybe a bit more $$ than your price point.

Benelli SuperNova is probably the best bang for your buck. Nice to shoot. Easy to maintain. Very reliable. Black or a couple different camo patterns. And you can use it as a duck boat paddle if need be. IMHO, you'll be happier with a high quality pump than you'd be with a cheaper autoloader or O/U. I think the SuperNova is the highest quality gun sold today for those of us on a budget.

I would look for good used.

Six hundred could get you a 12 and a 20 gauge, or close to it anyway. I'm looking at a nice 12 ga BPS for $250 right now and a very nice 20 ga Wingmaster for $350.

Take a look at the beretta a300 outlander. They are usually on sale at one store or another. Really nice semi auto for the price

My money would be on a Remington 870. They are a great value and all that I have ever seen have been bullet proof.

I have a real nice Remington 11-87 premier I don't use very much. I would sell it to you for $400 so you would have plenty of gas money left over to chase all the birds you can. Pm me if you are interested.

Without a doubt the Franchi Affinity, you won't be sorry

The affinity is a great value. I encouraged a coworker of mine to get one last year. The thing I don't like about the affinity and all the benellis (I hunted almost exclusively with a Super Black Eagle for over a decade) is the "Benelli Click". I know some guys will poo poo that and say it is rare but I have missed many many opportunities at birds due to that. And when it happens it will make you want to throw your gun in the lake. Myself and a guy I hunt with who has a montefeltro both decided last year to quit using them for upland. He went back to a model 12 and I started a traveling circus through my gunsafe.

If you want to buy new my recommendation would be the Weatherby SA-08 ahead of the Affinity. But either one will give you plenty of hunting service without much headache... until the affinity clicks.

What is the Benelli "click?" Is it the bolt not traveling all the way to seat the shell?

Just curious...

When walking through heavy cover the bolt can slip back just enough that when you go to shoot it will not engage the shell. I loved my Monte Ultralight. At 5 3/4 lbs it was a dream to carry. But I got to the point were I obsessively checked it when I hunted. I am surprised Kirk hasn't mentioned it, although without a dog he just let's us push the birds to him.

for the budget you are on and the type of birds you will shoot my opinion is hands down a new weatherby SA08. that is a great little gun. a black 12 gauge new can range from 500.00 to 539.00.

for the budget you are on and the type of birds you will shoot my opinion is hands down a new weatherby SA08. that is a great little gun. a black 12 gauge new can range from 500.00 to 539.00.

cabellas has the 28" synthetic12 listed at 430.00. Thats just giving them away.

Tom: Kirk has complained about his new gun - Franci, that gives him similar issues...

Can't say I would enjoy a gun that you have to baby-sit and fiddle with the bolt.

About Kirk - his shooting has vastly improved with his new 20 ga..He still uses the "howitzer shells", however.

If you have been shooting a pump and like it get yourself a Remington 870 and don't look back. This gun will last you a lifetime and you will be gifting it to your kids one day. They are proven and you don't have to worry about cleaning them throughout the season. An 870 will work for whatever you want to hunt. If you want a semi auto I would recommend a Winchester SX3 but it is going to be a little above your budget. I have both and they are great guns and never had a problem with either.

Without a doubt the Franchi Affinity, you won't be sorry

X2
I am really enjoying my Affinity. Cycle one and a Stoeger and the quality difference is easy to tell.
I have not had the benelli click with mine and I've hunted through some nasty stuff. I think it usually happens to people who slow the bolt when loading a round in the chamber. Let it slam it it like it should and the bolt will always be ready to fire.

Tim

Back