First hunt of the year...

jonnyB

Max and I ventured west to a shooting preserve for an initial workout - sort of a test to see how he fares, at 12 years young.

Weather was in the 50's, sunny, no wind and did hit low 60's before we were done. He did OK but faded with the heat; however,after a long drink, he was ready for another push but was pooped at the end of the hunt.

We were focused on one field, with grass strips separating our field from the next. On one side was a brush/tree grove that extended to the end of the field. On two occasions I lost track of him in the very tall grass. Eventually he poked his head out of the thick brush with a dead rooster someone else had shot. And he repeated this again 30 minutes later - this time the rooster felt warm and probably failed to escape, in the tangled brush.

Our birds were supposed to be placed in our field - not good enough action for this happy wanderer, hence the side track into the brush for two cripples.

He got a clean bill of health from the vet this afternoon, so we're ready for the next hunt and our annual trip to SD on the 22nd. I'll send a report after the hunt.

Last edited:
Great report. We also have one that just turned 12 who also refuses to stay home. Not many roosters are smart enough to out maneuver her.

My yellow lab just turned 9, and has retrieved several hundred birds I'm guessing. Actually the figure is up to arbitration. She is going up against the incomparable Sage this year.

Back