First Hunt - Kingman

PassItOn

Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors hosted a First Hunt pheasant hunt at Bluestem Hunting Preserve yesterday.

We had new 15 hunter ed grads from Wichita & Kingman out for the event. The Kingman kids had completed their hunter ed through a class that was offered at the middle school. The Wichita hunters had gone thru a class that was held for the FOP and their families.

We had volunteers from the Wichita PF, QF and NWTF chapters out to mentor the new hunters as well as Prairie Drifter!

The First Hunt program is targeted at getting new hunter ed grads out in the field, giving them a taste of an upland hunt. We review safe hunting principles as they relate to upland hunting and spend time sharpening their wingshooting skills before taking them to the field. We "hunt" birds that have been placed in bird launchers, giving us the ability to do a very controlled hunt, reinforcing what they have learned in the classroom. The goal is to boost their confidence and ability so that they will feel comfortable going on a "real" hunt.

We're looking forward to seeing these new hunters in the field!

12644941_10153735501894792_4269471692334490084_n.jpg

Twas a very nice event! Do wish we had filled up to the 20 kid limit! Word will get out and the next event will be full. Maybe we need one of the participants from Kingman to do a power point presentation to the 6th grade before the end of the year to prime that pump!!! It's great to see kids with so little experience make such a big jump in such a short window of time. FIRST BIRD was on every kids mind! For January, you couldn't ask for better weather either. Thanks to Mike and all the other mentors! I expect some kids had some happy dreams Saturday night! Maybe they had a tasty pheasant for Sunday dinner!

We had 2 young ladies there, which I think needs to increase markedly. One is the second from the left in the pic, holding the bird with the utmost respect! The gent with my hairdo is a fellow LE officer. Had a nice talk with him while sharing advice on bird dismantling. It was an interesting cross-section of the community with maybe more differences in the adults than in the youth! One of the young ladies was toting a rather large O&U. I offered her the opportunity to try my Monte. I think she was pushing the last of a box of shells through it. I'm a thinking the 5.4 pounds suited her. Her accuracy was pretty good with it for sure!

Last edited:
Sounds like a great program, well done one and all. Hopefully this will spark a new generation of bird hunters.:10sign:

Back