First Dusky Grouse

PairOfLabs

A friend and I took our dogs on a "blast and cast" near Meeker last week for grouse and trout. My lab Parker and I got our first ever grouse. My final score was one grouse, no trout, lots of miles walked and belly-boat finning. It was a great trip.

ParkerGrouse9-28-12SM.jpg

Tom

Great job!!!:10sign:

Are you hooked? Lots of worn boot leather but worth every step.....

Awesome, at least there is someone else on here who has seen and shot a grouse :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice :10sign:

Greg

We hunted about 4 hours Friday, flushed four, and I was the only lucky one to get off one shot. On the drive back Sunday we stopped at another spot and hunted for about 3 hours with no sightings. It's a good thing I keep myself in peak physical condition for a 60 yrold (ha, ha) as hunting at 9-10, 000 feet is a little different than around Yuma and Holyoke. They were two gorgeous fall days with the aspens just past the peak and watching my lab, Parker, and Jim's springer, Rocky, racing around in the trees and meadows.

It sure helps to go with someone who has had experience and some success in finding those critters. I had only seen them previously while backpacking or 4-wheeling to fishing holes.

Tom

Awesome, at least there is someone else on here who has seen and shot a grouse :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice :10sign:

Greg

Greg,
I went out last Saturday but didn't post any pictures as I figure you guys were tired of seeing my lab....
I am glad to see somebody else found them..

Second that. What a beautiful photo.
Fantastic, congrats!

Great picture and well done! Absolutely my favorite bird to hunt.

I hunted our 'honey hole' today (we left it alone earlier this season since it was so dry). Pretty quick limit (just 2.4 miles of boot leather) and flushed 2 more on the .5 mile walk back after #3. Missed one, as well.

Getting d**n cold up here. Going to give her one more go tomorrow and then I think it's time for some ducks. They've definitely moved high early this season. Haven't seen a bird below 9700' in the last few weeks.

Congratulations on your first grouse. Good looking dogs and awesome aspens in the background.

That pic wakes up the senses.:) Thanks for posting. Nice dogs, nice grouse!!
Congrats.:thumbsup:

Fabulous outing. I'm sure you will enjoy eating that dusky. I sure enjoyed the few I've had. Thanks for the post and photo.

Greg,
I went out last Saturday but didn't post any pictures as I figure you guys were tired of seeing my lab....
I am glad to see somebody else found them..

Yeah, I thought maybe you were the only one shooting them in the state :eek:

Ready for pheasant season and then it is a fair shot for everyone not just those who know of the secret honey holes and such.

I believe that cockbirds give every hunter and dog a fair chance at finding them. Not like the reclusive and elusive grouse. ;)

Greg

Those wiley roosters put every man and dog on even ground. Nothing like the excitement of flushing a big rooster, hearing him cackle, feeling the gun recoil and watch him fold up. Then being proud of the dog as he retrieves the downed bird... Can't wait until the opening bell...
I have my pockets, crossroads, and shelterbelts for finding roosters...
We all need to share pictures of our successes.... I look forward to seeing them...
Maybe next year a few of us UPH members ought to get together and go on a grouse hunt...

Those wiley roosters put every man and dog on even ground. Nothing like the excitement of flushing a big rooster, hearing him cackle, feeling the gun recoil and watch him fold up. Then being proud of the dog as he retrieves the downed bird... Can't wait until the opening bell...
I have my pockets, crossroads, and shelterbelts for finding roosters...
We all need to share pictures of our successes.... I look forward to seeing them...
Maybe next year a few of us UPH members ought to get together and go on a grouse hunt...

Yeah, I agree:10sign::cheers: I have met a couple guys from the UPH. Right now though, countdown until this Saturday opening day 1st rifle for Elk..

Greg

Greg,
Good luck hunting elk... I have to wait until second season as I did not draw for the area I wanted(six years applying and no it is not area 2)..
Have yet to meet anybody off the forum. Might be high time I did....

Back