First Aid Kit for pup

JonS

1st hunting dog. Former Wilderness EMT, now teacher.
What are you guys normally carrying in a first aid kit and what do you have back at the truck?
My plan as of now is a leatherman, some gauze and maybe a check cord if she's pointed on a skunk or porcupine?
Also considering a wire brush for the truck for burrs, but not sure how bad Wirehaired Pointing Griffon get coated in such burrs and things in CO, KS and NE.
Thanks in advance

Super glue, forceps, saline solution for washing eyes, couple of small maxi-pads for large wounds, check with your vet to see if you can get some clotting agent powder, duct tape, and possibly some small straight and curved needles and light-weight monofilament for field repair of wounds.

In the truck, some hydrogen peroxide for skunk smell (although it won't fix it, it will reduce it.)

Best wishes.

Super glue, forceps, saline solution for washing eyes, couple of small maxi-pads for large wounds, check with your vet to see if you can get some clotting agent powder, duct tape, and possibly some small straight and curved needles and light-weight monofilament for field repair of wounds.

In the truck, some hydrogen peroxide for skunk smell (although it won't fix it, it will reduce it.)

Best wishes.
Clotting agents-both spray and power available from Amazon—I carry both—great insurance—

On my person, snare cutter, needle nose, blood clotter, gauze pads, wound wrap, black tape, wood dowl with 550 cord(to aid in removing conibear or in mouth to aid quill removal), saline, leash and. In the truck iodine, wound stapler, large saline, nail trimmer, scissor, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and dawn dish soap. and I’m probably forgetting something.

I bought a kit contained in a tiny duffle bag that I keep in my huge duffle bag of bird hunting gear, bought it when Pheasantfest was in Sioux Falls, maybe 4 years ago now? Luckly, l have yet to need it. Google it, looks like many places sell these kits. Like insurance, you need to have it, but hope you never need to use it.

Nope, but I if you think you are going to do that, you best not be hunting by yourself, you would likely need one or 2 fellas to hold the dog down, but if that is for yourself, depending were the injury is, maybe you could do it. Guessing the stapler would be a better choice than needle & thread (man or beast). Not sure if "sutured" also covers staples....haven't had the chance for that either, hope I don't get the chance....bought my kit after I had a possible opportunity. My 12 year old GSP is slowing down a little and hopefully is a little more eductated now, but my buddy's 3 year old GSP just figured things out this past season and he is full throttle now. Saw him bounce off a single stands of bared wire a couple times this season, getting back up without a scratch, same with running through a pretty tight 4 strand fence....so we will eventually need to try it.

Last edited:
Nope, not yet. Standing stone kennels has some videos on you tube about doing it. His dog never flinched

Benedryl for ground hornet and bee stings. It works.

Eye wash. It works.

Staple gun (surgical) if you can manage it. I have done it at the vets office (they were really busy) and she handed it to me and said you keep it.

Special cable cutter to cut snare wire.

Know the vets that are active in the areas that you hunt. Internet searches on your phone will turn up plent of obsolete and closed practices. SW MN is a good example ... best bet for an active vet is Marshal or a few other larger towns. Many of the the real small town ones have retired.

Porky quills may require a vet visit. I have had dogs quilled, pulled the big ones and sometimes even hunted. You need to really, really check for small quills or bring to the vet. Unpulled quills can really become an issue.

I carry both the home made skunk kit (hydrogen peroxide, dawn, and baking soda) and the commercial spray designed to eliminate skunk odor.

Tick / spray shampoo is good to have also. Dog's are usually on the tick pill, but the spray keeps them off ...

If you have never used a surgical stapler you can look it up on YouTube.com, just search "surgical stapler dog". I've used mine several times and it's not as easy as it looks. It would help to practice on something. Also, if you get a surgical stapler make sure you also get the "staple remover" It's a special little tool just for removing these staples.

Agree. Staple removal tool is needed too.

You really need to clean any wound throughly before you stable it shut. That is absolutely imperative to avoid infection.

The vet tech and I actually washed out my Britt's chest skin tear (barbed wire fence). The vet came by an inspected the wound before the tear was stabled shut.

Back