Finished dog box build

waterdog09

Alright, finally finished the build on my 4 dog box for my truck. Only thing not done yet is the heater install but that is on its way and will be installed when I get it. The inside doors work on a cable system, pull one to release the latch and pull the other to open the door. Pretty slick system, thanks Bigjon for the idea! Let me know what you think as we are all hunters and looking for new and better ideas.

The box is offset to allow for gear storage on the side and is bolted down to the drawer system below. Last pic is of the fans and the gap at the front of the box where the heater will be located.

Over the top! I noticed lots of vents or openings. How will you contain the heat? Or do the heaters produce enough, to heat the entire space...

The heater will heat the entire truck box not just the dog box so it will keep gear warm also and keep water from freezing on really cold days

What are your rough dimensions like the 4 box idea, just wonder height width and length for actual dog area. Thanks in advance.

There is a thread called "new dog box build" it has all the dimensions and more pics of the setup during the build.

I purchased a dc thermal heater for in back, 50a 10k btu. But after doing more research this fall I came to the conclusion it just wouldn't work for my application. Not the heater itself but the wire I would have to run to power it. I have 4awg ran back to my box and then through my dog box but to support this heater I would have to run a minimum of 0awg or bigger and that just won't work. So I have decided to go with a different setup, a 800w inverter with two 200w space heaters plugged into it ran off my switch on the front of the dog box. I tested a heater out on my inverter in my drawer and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of heat it put out so with two of these heaters mounted by the fans it should circulate a good amount of warm air on cold days and hopefully keep it warm for the dogs.

Are you planning to run a separate battery for that set up? Do your dogs spend the night in the kennel on out of town trips? Mine do. So I run a cord out to the truck for a small space heater.

Your 4 gauge wire can support 50 amps up to 25 ft. DC 12 volts does not need the wire size of your 120/240 AC circuits.

I love my setup, the 4 dog box and drawers work great! One drawer is for guns and the other is for all the other stuff, like tool kit, tow straps, dog first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and misc other stuff. That drawer also has a plastic tray in it for birds and can easily hold 9-12 birds. The dog box has worked great, even when we go to SD in the end of Oct when we have 4 dogs back there over night they keep the back area around 45-50 degrees even on nights it gets into the teens. I haven't tried the heater yet meant to get it all hooked up this year before the season but that didn't happen. it's all wired and mounted just need to finish the wiring hookups. I think the heater will do just fine, not looking for a massive temp increase in the back but if it can keep it at 30-35 degrees on a 0-5 degree day ill be happy with that. Over all I love my setup and a lot of the guys I hunt with want something similar to it.

I really like the idea and look of it. I'm going to have to make the dog box removable on mine though. How much weight do you think you could put on the lower box?

everything in the truck is removable. The dog box is bolted to the drawer system below and pulls out after you remove the bolts. The drawer system is also fully removable. It has wings on the sides that fold up and down and allow it to be removed in one piece. I always pull the drawers when removing it just to make it easier. I bet I can easily put a 4 wheeler on top of the drawer system as it's made from 3/4 birch plywood and has a stiffener in the middle of it in between the drawers. If you look further back in the history of the gear & equipment section you will see all the threads about the drawers build up and the dog box build up.

Back