Findings Birds?

Straightup82

North East and North Central Missouri is dry and with warm temperatures so is anyone having much luck finding and getting birds pointed currently? Very early in the morning and very late in the afternoon are when we are getting the majority of our birds pointed? Been pounding some awesome private ground that has produced very limited action in some cases. Have been hunting behind some time tested and top notch dogs. I Would like to hear how are others doing?

Last edited:
Only have gotten out once last week in MO so far, hopefully get down there for a couple days in Dec. though. The one time I went out in north central was out for the morning ~2hrs and found one nice sized covey ~15-20 birds in two separate groups spaced out around some uncut beans. Pretty early (~8:30), younger dogs, fairly inexperienced on quail but, they held pretty well.

Thanks for the update, now that the temp has dropped, getting a lot more birds worked that help with much better shots.

Cool, was hoping the cold front would help things. I was raised in NEMO, get back to hunt there now and again, you from the area or just hunt up there?

Cool, was hoping the cold front would help things. I was raised in NEMO, get back to hunt there now and again, you from the area or just hunt up there?

I grew up in Macon and come back for ~2-3 weeks of bird hunting with two of my high school buddies every year. The last 4 days have been really nice and finding more birds. I would expect those still hunting to find more birds per farm than they have as the weather normalizes temperature and humidity wise.

I was in north central MO a month or so ago and saw 10 plus pheasant and a couple coveys. I've since gone back twice to the same place and you'd think it didn't have a bird on it. I think you're right with the low humidity and warm temps it's been rough on the dogs. I've gotten 6 pheasant and 10 plus quail so far this year, but most have been found northwest MO. All on public land. I'd like to see a nice snow!!!

I was in north central MO a month or so ago and saw 10 plus pheasant and a couple coveys. I've since gone back twice to the same place and you'd think it didn't have a bird on it. I think you're right with the low humidity and warm temps it's been rough on the dogs. I've gotten 6 pheasant and 10 plus quail so far this year, but most have been found northwest MO. All on public land. I'd like to see a nice snow!!!

I am in NW Missouri, not finding many birds, but honestly it's too hot, and too much cover. We need snow to put them in the draws and hedgerows. It's kind of hit and miss, but mostly miss. I have a farm in NW mo, saw two different coveys in the yard in the summer (different sized birds) and haven't seen them in 90 days, but haven't hunted my own place yet. I have a friend that farms about 4000 acres of perfect bird habitat, weedy draws, corn and beans, rosebushes, etc. I've hunted it twice and haven't seen a bird at all. Every ditch you go down a coyote runs out, I don't know I've ever seen them so thick, one day hunted three hours and saw six coyotes. I did see one about 400 yards away while I was putting the dog up, he is now deceased.

There is also some state land a half mile south of the farm I grew up on, I'm sure it has some birds, but it's 4000 acres of prairie grass and standing corn, there could be a hundred coveys on it, and you'd be lucky to find one. You'd have to have an army and 20 dogs to hunt it.

I'm heading to Kansas soon, I have a young dog, and 3 or four hours of no birds is hard on them. Hell, it's hard on me! I am 60, so all the years from the time I was 8 till I was 25, we shot about 3-400 birds apiece per season. It's depressing for me, I'm in tune to 10 per day, not 10 per season!

I'm beginning to think the problem is predators, there were lots of farmers reporting seeing birds in the summer, then not seeing them from the combines. There are 2 hawks for every 120 acres, along with bobcats, coyotes, and nest robbers like possums and coons. In my area, it sure isn't lack of food or cover.

I think the quail numbers are up some from last year. Have been impressed with the numbers I have found in central MO. Public and private. Bigger covies. Young and old birds. Have seen pheasants in odd places too.

I think the quail numbers are up some from last year. Have been impressed with the numbers I have found in central MO. Public and private. Bigger covies. Young and old birds. Have seen pheasants in odd places too.

I've been out four times 2-3 hours apiece. Have yet to fire a shot. I'm about one hunt from selling a dog and quitting again...for good. I saw coveys early in the fall while driving to work, etc. haven't seen one along the road in 90 days.

I am in NW Missouri, not finding many birds, but honestly it's too hot, and too much cover. We need snow to put them in the draws and hedgerows. It's kind of hit and miss, but mostly miss. I have a farm in NW mo, saw two different coveys in the yard in the summer (different sized birds) and haven't seen them in 90 days, but haven't hunted my own place yet. I have a friend that farms about 4000 acres of perfect bird habitat, weedy draws, corn and beans, rosebushes, etc. I've hunted it twice and haven't seen a bird at all. Every ditch you go down a coyote runs out, I don't know I've ever seen them so thick, one day hunted three hours and saw six coyotes. I did see one about 400 yards away while I was putting the dog up, he is now deceased.

There is also some state land a half mile south of the farm I grew up on, I'm sure it has some birds, but it's 4000 acres of prairie grass and standing corn, there could be a hundred coveys on it, and you'd be lucky to find one. You'd have to have an army and 20 dogs to hunt it.

I'm heading to Kansas soon, I have a young dog, and 3 or four hours of no birds is hard on them. Hell, it's hard on me! I am 60, so all the years from the time I was 8 till I was 25, we shot about 3-400 birds apiece per season. It's depressing for me, I'm in tune to 10 per day, not 10 per season!

I'm beginning to think the problem is predators, there were lots of farmers reporting seeing birds in the summer, then not seeing them from the combines. There are 2 hawks for every 120 acres, along with bobcats, coyotes, and nest robbers like possums and coons. In my area, it sure isn't lack of food or cover.

I hope things went well for you in KS. I went out last week and saw some birds. Leaving the quail alone unless they're bigger coveys. The dog has had some solid points which is fun to see. Good luck the rest of the season jstevens.

Back