Final countdown !!!

The final week before the Minnesota pheasant opener, can hardly contain the excitement !!! Hope everyone has there plan ready for Saturday. I'll be hunting mostly private land in Western Mn. getting mixed reports from the relatives, so we will see what happens. Good luck to everyone and shoot straight.

I spent 4 hours driving the countryside asking for permission on Saturday. I was able to obtain permission at every location except one, and that was because no one was home. I also saw a good number of birds just standing along the roads. It is PARCHED out there. Super dry. The gravel roads are like a dust storm when you drive on them. I would say about half the beans are out and almost none of the corn is harvested. Its supposed to be in the 70's so I think I'll be waiting a while until I hunt. That being said, when the crops start getting harvested and temps drop, the hunting will be good. Remember that an over worked dog in the heat is something to avoid.

I will only be able to hunt for the last couple hours of the day on Saturday, so close and quick. Good luck all. I drove a bit in central Mn, there is alot of work the farmers need to do before the hunt will get good yet. I think there will be a sweet spot this year though, of decent temps and no crops around that Nov 1st point

We are heading out to Western MN for opener. 3 of us on Saturday, and probably a short hunt on Sunday morning due to the weather being to warm. Probably do more scouting both days than hunting. Not worth putting the dogs at risk.
So, we'll take it easy just hit some things here and there with the dogs.

I hope everyone is staying safe out there! I'll be hitting some public land this weekend around the Glenwood Area. Should be a good year...but every year a good year!! Please report back and I'll do the same. It appears the crop harvest is ahead of last year but still long way to go until the prime hunting hits!

Is anyone changing their plans because of the warmer temps this weekend? Actually considering heading way north to see if I can't find some sharpies.

No change of plans here. I just plan to hit a small parcel here and there. Nothing too intense. Keep the dogs save and bring lots of water!

I didn't have plans of heading out, I usually skip opening weekend and wait for the crowds to go away on public lands in a week - then enjoy the rest of the season almost all to myself. But I think excitement and anticipation are getting the best of me and I might head out to walk one area close to home that takes about an hour to hunt. There's really only one way into it and it's not too big, so I plan to get there early enough and hopefully all the competition drives on by.

Back