feeding meat to the dogs

I thought this might spark some interest I feed my dogs meat at least 2 times a week i put it on the grill wrapped in tin foil never been a big fan of feeding raw meat since the last dog i feed it to turned up mean at feeding time what are your guys thought i also do not feed cooked bones if they are getting a chew bone I cut all the raw meat off the bone cook the meat and give the bone

Jim, I don't give my dogs any bones except the rawhide chew types. No reason just do it that way. As for the meat, I give them all the fat trimmings from steaks, chops and roast. I mix them in with their regular food to make it more tasty. Of course if I am eating a roast beef or pork sandwich. You do know where about 1/4 of that and some of the chips goes. They don't like the dill pickles, lettuce and the raw onion. I can never eat alone..........Bob

I know a guy that feeds his beagle nothing but raw meat mainly chicken bones and all. I am not recommending this or condoning it but the dog looks very healthy. Far too expesive for me.

I will supplement cooked meats, mainly boiled chicken breast or other lean meats during hunting season. I will also cook any trimmings that I don't want to eat from steaks, roast or others like this. I have found that when hunting my two GSPs 3-5 times a week like I do during the season this help maintain good energy levels and good coat conditions and good weights along with good lean muscle. You may also be able to go to you local butcher/locker and get fat chunks to help supplement during the colder months so the dogs energy levels are high. If you go any of these routes still provide them thier normal food but tailor it back accordingly. Whatever you do I am sure you won't hear the dogs say no to;)

I supplement with chicken cooked in broth, add olive oil for energy and fish oil for health. Raw femurs are great for keeping teeth clean but aren't as easy to find as they once were. I stay away from rawhide as I had a dog get backed up with it before.

yes the good big raw bones are getting harder to find I used to feed the deer bones until cronic wasting disease started now they just get bones from roast and things uncooked though as not to splinter

The bones of every deer we shoot goes to my dogs. They eat every thing except the pelvic, palate/jaw, and antlers. Legs, hooves, head, every thing. I notice that their stool is chalky white after eating bones. They must have one heck of a digestive system. Been doing it since 1993. At the moment my dogs are into pumpkins. I walk them every night and they have to have their pumpkin. Labs will eat anything; tomatoes, sweet corn, potatoes, apples ect...

mine ae into having fruit also they love the watermelon and cantalope in the garden guess I wont have any to give away this year

Used to be the same in the old days with antelope, had a Golden that dang near couldn't walk after eating trimings off a couple of antelope carcasses as we cut them up. Weirdest, was a dainty pointer bitch who spent her summers perched on top of the picnic table waiting for green apples to fall of the tree, retrieving each individually as they fell, and eating every one precisely between her front paws on the picnic table. Amused her for months, wasn't as interested in the ripe ones. See to remember some Nash Buckingham stories about the only time the rawboned pointers were fat was hog slaughtering time.

I work for my uncles who own a butcher shop here in town. We have many dog trainers that come in and ask us for scraps. We give them as much as we can of the beef and lambs. Livers, kidneys, rib bones, almost any other type of bone, all goes into a 55 gallon drum and sent with them. It usually takes us a week to fill one of these barrels. I think its 10 bucks a barrel?

The femer bone is generally are cut up into round steaks. The lower leg bones (the shanks) have the meat stripped from them and thrown under the table to be sawed into pieces, normally three, at the end of the day. Those pieces are then dropped into a mixture of used ham and bacon cure. then a day or two later they are taken out and put on smoke trucks and into the smoke houses to be smoked and then sold for non human consumption(I have to word it that way). Thats what happens to your big bones.

If you want whole raw bones without the knuckles on it you have to come in and ask for it.

My dog gets spoiled I bring home 1 or 2 bones a week for her. She chews on them for awhile and then I take them and throw them in the garbage.

Scott

Back