Federal WPA closings

mwilly56

The Obama Administration, for no good reason except to irritate hunters,has started closing federal public hunting lands. This includes Water Fowl Production Areas. Has anyone noticed?

I think they are doing it so that they can pimp their healthcare plan.

http://www.doi.gov/whatwedo/index.cfm

oops! doesn't show the whole page on my phone.

Here is what is posted at the top of the webpage:

Due to the lapse in appropriated funds, all public lands managed by the Interior Department (National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, Bureau of Land Management facilities, etc.) will be closed. For more information, FAQs, and updates, please visit www.doi.gov/shutdown.

...I think its funny that they furlowed several hundred thousand people. But redid their sight on oct.1 to include a link to healthcare in the sidebar. People are looking and somebody paid for that.

Maybe this is the year to wear camo instead of hunter orange.

Like it and for me with a yellow lab should not to visible from the road, as cannot image Warden tracking me down in the field.

Personally very fortunate to have access to private land.

You are indeed fortunate! I will be going on my first ever trip to South Dakota and I leave 2 weeks from today. Part of what I was looking forward to was being about to hunt for prairie chickens on the National Grasslands and trying some WPA spots for pheasants that I have spent a LOT of time in researching. As of right now, they are all closed.

It makes me just sick to think that political wrangling in Washington could very well impact me and pup walking on grounds that we all own. :mad:

I feel the pain.......Have a waterfowl draw and 90% of what we usually hunt is closed.....It's not like I can change my vacation time....we have this trip planned a year in advance...I feel for the federal employees and the hardships they are facing wiht no paycheck....but I've busted my ass all year long at work and I'm finally going to get my much deserved vacation that may turn out to be a VERY EXPENSIVE sight seeing tour (just not on federal land!!!).....it's usually Mother Nature screwing things up.....

Terry B

I have not duck hunted for a couple years in SD but used to drive up from Terre Haute, IN and we found many farmers more than willing to let us duck hunt their ponds and sloughs for ducks especially if you tell them you shoot geese too. I would spend the extra time knocking on doors if the WPA's are closed. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Pheasant opener is just a few days away. Wondering if motels will start getting massive cancellations as I would think many people coming out to hunt and staying in motels will hunt on public land of which much is federal. Obviously would increase the pressure on the state lands but maybe not if lots of cancels.

This is very interesting.

Pheasant opener is just a few days away. Wondering if motels will start getting massive cancellations as I would think many people coming out to hunt and staying in motels will hunt on public land of which much is federal. Obviously would increase the pressure on the state lands but maybe not if lots of cancels.

I'm thinking most folks that are coming out are probably unaware of the fed land closing.

I'm thinking most folks that are coming out are probably unaware of the fed land closing.

You are right. I have had to search to find anything about it. SD needs to put it right up front on their webpage or do like one other state and have the Mayor declare the land open.

I called the hotel we stay at to see if they had extra rooms for Oct 25th and 26th and they had no available rooms as of Tuesday. This may change as we get closer.

the Obama wild card has tipped the scale for me...not much public land anyway and then we lose the Fed land...WTF?....my buddy and I canceled, that is an easy grand or better SD businesses won't see.....:(

When I made my reservations a few weeks ago the woman said that they were WAY down and she discounted and up graded our room.....

Terry B

I have not duck hunted for a couple years in SD but used to drive up from Terre Haute, IN and we found many farmers more than willing to let us duck hunt their ponds and sloughs for ducks especially if you tell them you shoot geese too. I would spend the extra time knocking on doors if the WPA's are closed. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

That drive from Terre Haute is a boring one but you're right it USED to be productive.....with the wind farms out toward Kentland alot of that property can't be hunted due to the contracts.....We have been slammed with corporate Jack Off's coming in from Chicago leasing out farms for FAT cash...I can't afford to compete with that....we used to go down for a weekend and cut wood, fix fences, paint barns...what ever it took for a year pass to hunt and now those properties are locked and leased.......thing have changed my friend.....

Back