Federal PF WingShok vs. Fiocchi Golden Pheasant

jflewis88

I'm on the fence between these two shells for use in a Rem 11-87 12ga... The Federal has 1-1/4 oz shot, 1500fps. The Fiocchi has 1-3/8 oz, 1485 fps.

Anyone out there had experience with either/both? The price is comparable, within $1/box.

I'm hunting over a pointing lab, she keeps pretty close and holds her point, so I'm not usually looking at exceptionally long shots.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

pattern your gun

My advice would be to pattern your gun and find out which one shoots the best under different yardages. Different loads react differently in every gun and it is impossible to guesstimate what it will do in yours. Good luck!

My advice would be to pattern your gun and find out which one shoots the best under different yardages. Different loads react differently in every gun and it is impossible to guesstimate what it will do in yours. Good luck!

I second that motion.

On the other hand it would be really fun to have an argument about how 15 fps makes all the difference in the world on those long shots or how that extra 1/8 of shot means more dead birds.

Last edited:
I'd also suggest to pattern them but either one will do fine in an improved cylinder, light mod or similiar choke. Cut a shell of both open and you'll see that fiocchi shot is more uniform the pattern board does show that. Less flyers and more even patterns at least outta the guns I've shot it out of. Nickel plated shot is slightly harder too. It could be different for your gun. Federal does make a 1 3/8 1500 load too. They are harder to fine but every scheels I've been to keeps em stocked. All that said I doubt either one is better in the field. The slight differences in pattern are more than over shadowed by the unconsistencies that hunting wild birds bring.

I've been shooting the Federal PH loads for several years and have had excellent luck with them. But you can't go wrong with either the Federals or the Fiochhis. To pattern your gun would be a the ultimate test using your choke of choice. I shoot IC all season long with #5 shot. Shot size is another variable. 4's, 5's or 6's all may pattern differently.

Bottm line, if you are shooting over a pointing dog and most of your shots are under 40 yards either load in either 4, 5 or 6 shot will do just fine.

Just shoot straight! :thumbsup:

Many thanks!

Thanks, guys - I'll get a box of each and shoot some plywood this weekend. I've heard good things about both shells, but have also had a few folks tell me they've had the Fiocchis jam on them more often than they should. Every gun's different, so I'll have a go at them with mine and see which patterns better (and which, if either, jams). Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

I've been shooting the Federal PH loads for several years and have had excellent luck with them. But you can't go wrong with either the Federals or the Fiochhis. To pattern your gun would be a the ultimate test using your choke of choice. I shoot IC all season long with #5 shot. Shot size is another variable. 4's, 5's or 6's all may pattern differently.

Bottm line, if you are shooting over a pointing dog and most of your shots are under 40 yards either load in either 4, 5 or 6 shot will do just fine.

Just shoot straight! :thumbsup:
I shoot straight - but the birds always fly crooked!

Jflewis88, Man that is a great line. "I shoot straight, but the birds always fly crooked". Can I steal it for when I'm getting crap for missing AGAIN....Bob

I'm on the fence between these two shells for use in a Rem 11-87 12ga... The Federal has 1-1/4 oz shot, 1500fps. The Fiocchi has 1-3/8 oz, 1485 fps.

If you can find it the Wingshok also comes in 1 3/8 oz as well. I'm partial to it in #5 and #4. Patterns out of my Beretta much better than the Golden Pheasant. But every gun choke combination is different.

The world's top shotgunner is a man named George Digweed. During an interview he was asked about which shells are best. He replied, "The worst shells you can buy are better than the best shooter ever to live."

No pheasant will ever know the difference between those two loads.

Steal it - Anybody wants to know where you heard it, tell them you got it from some joker in Colorado that misses more than you do...

Thank you I appreciate it........Bob

DIDO but I use the PF 1500's and they KILL flat out KILL at long range, greatest thing ever to hit the market I think. And 2 3/4 is all too. They just work, but do pattern your gun at around 40 yds and see what works.

Thanks to all who replied. I did as suggested, the difference between the two on the pattern board was negligible. So, I took the remaining shells out to the club, planted a bunch of birds and gave the dog a practice day.

The Federals won out. More birds dropped DEAD with those, more runners with the Fiocchis.

Bought a bunch of the Federals. Opening weekend in CO is 4 days away - can't wait :D :D :D

I use shoot the Fiocchi's almost exclusively. I like the GPX loads which I believe are the 1485 fps loads. My first barrel is an IC and I will typically have 6's in that. The second barrel is a modified cylinder with 5's. I've found this to be a good combination. Pragmatically, if I am hunting quail habitat and get up pheasants, I think high brass 7.5's will give you enough knock down in the early season. I plan on expanding on this a little more this year.

Back