FDA Warning Against Grain-Free Dog Food

BritChaser

The FDA has warned against feeding grain-free dog food due to damage it causes to dog hearts.

The FDA has warned against feeding grain-free dog food due to damage it causes to dog hearts.
Has the CDC weighed in yet?

Not to make light of the potential, and all information appreciated - but when is the last time these guys, or the CDC, got it right on the first try?

Link? I've seen info on continued investigation but no "warning against feeding grain -free dog food due to the damage it causes to dog hearts."

Here's what a quick search turned up of recent commentary:

Sales of grain-free diets fell when the FDA began investigating the cause of a rising number of DCM cases in dogs. However, no research to date has uncovered evidence of a direct correlation between grain-free diets and DCM.

One recent study looked at data from more than 67,000 DCM cases and determined that the average incidence rate was 3.83% from 2000 to 2019. And from 2011 to 2019, sales of grain-free pet food were up 500%. They uncovered no relationship between DCM and grain-free diets nor any significant increase in DCM cases over time...

...Lastly, a partnership between Hill’s Pet Nutrition and the canine genomics company Embarkis working to conduct genetic testing on more than 1,000 dogs with DCM, including both pure and mixed breeds. The results could help with early detection and recovery, as well as identify nutritional and non-nutritional genetic risk factors for the disease.

Also: https://www.petfoodprocessing.net/a...-update-correlating-dcm-and-certain-pet-diets

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued what the agency referred to as an “inflection point” Nov. 3, in which the FDA confirmed it has no definitive information indicating that certain diets are inherently unsafe. Specifically, the statement issued from the FDA said the agency “has not taken regulatory action against or declared any specific pet food products unsafe or definitively linked to DCM....

...“What we at CVM have learned since these cases first started coming to our attention is that DCM is a scientifically complex, multifaceted issue,” Solomon said. “… And I want to be clear: we at CVM currently do not view this as a regulatory issue. We have not requested any recalls. We have not taken any compliance or enforcement activity.””

The one thing of note I did see was that data has shown associations between the disease and grain-free foods, particularly those high in peas, chickpeas and lentils. In other words, high in legumes. If you want to feed grain free without legumes, Google is your friend. There are several out there.

Last edited:
From the AKC website:
“The FDA is investigating a potential dietary link between canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and dogs eating certain grain-free dog foods. The foods of concern are those containing legumes such as peas or lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes listed as primary ingredients. The FDA began investigating this matter after it received reports of DCM in dogs that had been eating these diets for a period of months to years. DCM itself is not considered rare in dogs, but these reports are unusual because the disease occurred in breeds of dogs not typically prone to the disease.”

Between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2019, the FDA received 524 reports of DCM (515 dogs, 9 cats), and most reports were submitted after the FDA’s first public alert in July 2018. The total number of pets affected is greater than 524 because some reports included multi-pet households.

"Specifically, the statement issued from the FDA said the agency “has not taken regulatory action against or declared any specific pet food products unsafe or definitively linked to DCM"

At present and according to the FDA there is no definitive link between grain free pet foods and DCM. The phrase “correlation does not imply causation” would apply at this point.

"Between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2019, the FDA received 524 reports of DCM (515 dogs, 9 cats)"

Considering the immense amount of grain free foods consumed by dogs during that ~ 5 year period, ~500 dogs is really not statistically significant. Even if you quadruple that number it wouldn't be all that significant. Especially when we have CVM Director Dr. Steven Solomon stating that "DCM is a scientifically complex, multifaceted issue".

Solomon seems to be pointing out that it is not just one thing...like just grain free food...that is the root cause of the issue.

I'm betting there's going to be a genetic marker for this DCM and I'm glad that Embark/Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine is going to get involved in tracking this down.

This issue has been beat around for over 2 years. Both on this site and others. I'm not sure what to believe. Is it all grain free foods or just certain ones? I fed grain free for about a year due to an allergy dog but when I found it wasn't the grain in food that was impacting her allergies I went back to ProPlan Sport and haven't looked back.

Last edited:
As someone who lost a dog to DCM and did feed grain free feeds, I'm not sure why anyone would even mess with it when there are high quality feeds like Purina Pro Plan or Purina One readily available. Never again will I even come close to grain free.

Back