Favorite Part of the Pheasant Season

IA Hunter

All,

I have the upcoming pheasant season is on my mind and I wondered what is it about the season that keeps bringing you back year after year?

For me it is the stories that we swap and the end of the days hunt or seeing a dog work, young or seasoned!!

The Beauty !!! Landscape, Dog work, the bird itself and how smart and cagy they are and the chess game on how to outsmart them when they have been hunted heavily. Oh, and they smell of fresh fired gun powder in the morning. Beats coffee every time!!!:cheers:

I like hunting by myself or with on other person who is on the other side of the field ... and who will at least call my wife if I step in a badger hole and break my leg. :p For me, it is the solitude, and watching my dog work, or working as a team with my dog. I do enjoy the whole experience ... the days of anticipation, packing, getting up early, drinking lots of coffee, listening to country music all the way to Julesburg, planning where to go, only to drive by a field and ask Dakota if he wants to hunt there ... he always says "yes", bagging 2 birds by 8:00AM and hunting till sundown for "just one more", taking "trophy pics" and bragging on my dog when we are done.

The pic below sums it up for me.
6463639123_94a4b81a15_z.jpg

We'll go wherever we want and no girls to boss us around! ;)

smell

The Beauty !!! Landscape, Dog work, the bird itself and how smart and cagy they are and the chess game on how to outsmart them when they have been hunted heavily. Oh, and they smell of fresh fired gun powder in the morning. Beats coffee every time!!!:cheers:

especially when it is out of my 14 ga. and the cloud clears

cheers

Ever since I got my first lab over 20 years ago, that is what has motivated me to get up out of bed and get into the field or when I was an avid duck hunter (not as much since my passion for upland has taken off), from my first lab, Conan to now Remi, that is what drives me. To get out into the field when him and just enjoy watching him work. However, now since my son is hunting age, getting out with him has renewed my passion. To create and shares memories that we can talk about and treasure for years to come. To spend time with friends and the time to get away from it all and just do what I love!!

Greg

" We'll go wherever we want and no girls to boss us around"

Just has to be somewhere at the top of the list for me too!

Watching my lab as his tail starts spinning on a hot scent. The flush of a rooster, cackling as he takes flight like a painted dragon. The shotgun sliding forward and pressing to my shoulder. Swinging the barrels through and slapping the tigger at the precise moment. Feeling the recoil and watching the wings fold back as the shot hits home and the bird crashes into the crp. The rush of my lab to retrieve the downed bird and bringing it back to me. Rewarding him for a good job. His excitement to look for the next bird. It is the satisfaction of being able to work in unison with an animal that I do not share a common language with but we strive to acheive the same result. The excitement of the hunt resulting with a bird in the hand. That very moment brings me back year after year.....

I love hunting the morning after a fresh snow. Seeing the tracks in the snow and following them with the anticipation of a big rooster taking flight out of the weed patch that the tracks lead into. I love watching the dogs work a field and retrieving my wing tipped bird that hit the ground running! I love spending time with friends and family and high-fiving after somebody makes a great shot. Or shaking our heads in disbelief when the bird gets up right in front of you and miss him with both shots because you were staring at that long tail and not the ring on his neck.

Last edited:
Back