Favorite day of the year

Matt D

At the hunt club today for the youth pheasant hunt. Seems like I can usually only make this event about every other year. Just about to hit the field for the second run of the day. First run the "old man" did pretty good. Put up 6 and they killed 2. Had good shots at 5 of them but a good time had by all. The last bird as we were running out of time was an awesome retrieve on a wounded runner that had gone 100 yards from where we flushed him.

See how good the 10 year old springer bounces back for this next group.

I loved taking my dog to the youth hunts that Minnehaha County Pheasant Forever put on until... they moved the event to a preserve with preserve dogs and no longer where wanted. I have issues with the way they do it. I talked to gentleman that is part of a youth hunt in Wisconsin and it was run more one on one with the kids. Sounds like a much more fun experience than a mass hunt; with only the best and most experienced shots getting any action. But you have to play attention to the new hunters, kids and women.

Our only option here is a preserve. Do them in groups of 2-3 kids to one dog and handler. We went 4-9 on our second run. The winds were 25+mph today so that made hitting them a challenge for the kids. Overall a good day as no safety issues at all and everyone got a lot of shooting and at least one bird. The dog had a nice second run and really worked the field nicely. He is resting and figure he will be feeling his age a little in the morning.

Matt

Back