Farmer's report sounds great!

bellahunts

Got a text yesterday from NW Iowa farmer who lets me hunt his land every year. He said his beans are out and about 1/3 of his corn. Sounds like most, if not all, crops will be out before the season opens. But this is the best thing he had to say, "I have never in my lifetime seen so many pheasants while harvesting". When I drove over to Iowa in August to scout for ground I talked to DNR agents office who said the survey numbers for NW Iowa would not be accurate because of the very dry conditions during the morning surveys. From what my friend is seeing, the numbers are up a LOT more than the DNR's 18% report for NW region. Can't wait for the 31st!

Last edited:
Slow down....there are no pheasants in NW IA, your farmer must be mistaken. Well, maybe there are, it might be the best in years.

Got a text yesterday from NW Iowa farmer who lets me hunt his land every year. He said his beans are out and about 1/3 of his corn. Sounds like most, if not all, crops will be out before the season opens. But this is the best thing he had to say, "I have never in my lifetime seen so many pheasants while harvesting". When I drove over to Iowa in August to scout for ground I talked to DNR agents at the Early IA office who said the survey numbers for NW Iowa would not be accurate because of the very dry conditions during the morning surveys. From what my friend is seeing, the numbers are up a LOT more than the DNR's 18% report for NW region. Can't wait for the 31st!

After a few posts like this, there will be a decrease next year ;)

Not much public to hunt here would be the biggest issue for folks not from here...just compounding things, a bunch of the CRP has been mowed and baled. The few public areas will be tramped by hunters this year.

I wish you would have left it at NW Iowa and not mentioned a town. Maybe be a pal and edit that out?

Last edited:
Guys everyone knows it's going to be a good season and corn looks to be almost if not completely out before it begins this year. Badmouth all you want I don't think anyone is paying attention given all the reports of the ground
See you next week

Back