Expectations

Munster927

I'm heading from MN to the Chamberlain area next weekend for 3 or 4 days. Hunting only public land. What can I expect? Anyone been in that area recently? It sounds like most if not all crops are down and others on this forum seem to be having good reports.

Hunted public land today with a buddy and we had our 6 by 2:30pm and we didn’t really hunt that hard...find food near some cover and walk...you’ll do fine.

Thanks for the info Benelli. Did/have you sees alot of other folks around on public? That's mostly my concern, is seeing a ton of people out since it's such a mild year. Usually in December I don't have to sorry much.

Are the rattlesnakes all gone for the year out there??? They always scare me. I know someone who grew up there and a snake-bite ended up killing the family dog.

East river deer season ended on Sunday, so the pressure on public will recede. I spent 3 days at Chamberlain, and I did not see another hunter except for those on the pay to play places..

Good to hear. I've been out to SoDak before and it was an absolute zoo and I've been there when I didn't see another soul. One of the reasons I don't usually go until late December or early January.

I too am thinking of trying the Chamberlain area in the next week or so. Any suggestions for a first timer to that particular part of the state? I usually spend my days around/east of Huron.

I'm heading from MN to the Chamberlain area next weekend for 3 or 4 days. Hunting only public land. What can I expect? Anyone been in that area recently? It sounds like most if not all crops are down and others on this forum seem to be having good reports.
You find any birds? I was just curious. You don't have to respond, if you want to keep it to yourself.

I too am thinking of trying the Chamberlain area in the next week or so. Any suggestions for a first timer to that particular part of the state? I usually spend my days around/east of Huron.
There's a decent amount of public south of Chamberlain. That's where I focus. Along both sides of the Missouri River.

Not going to start a new thread for one report, but here's my most recent trip with myself and my lab, plus a fellow hunter and golden puppy.

Day 1: Hunted somewhere within a 1-60 mile radius of Sioux Falls on public land. We only saw 3 roosters, 1 in range. We did have probably 100 hen flushes with my lab. So overall I would say it's not a bad day. I come to SD for a chance at 3 roosters each day, but I also want my dog to get as many wild bird contacts as possible. What's better for the dog, only 3 flushes + retrieves for the day and they are all roosters? Or 100 beautiful flushes for the day and they are all hens? Can make an argument for either side. Concentrated too much on thick cover in low lying areas near the middle of pieces where I didn't think other hunters would get to. Ended up finding the birds in shorter 2-3' high grass on the boundaries and fence rows.

Day 2: Hunted somewhere within a 1-60 mile radius of Mitchell on public land that I hit once every trip, call it my public land honey hole. Again, spent too much time in the thick stuff and working too hard. In probably the 8 times I've hunted this piece over the years, this would be the first time I've taken 0 birds off of it. I think my previous low was 2 by myself and high was 7 with 2 other people. Then switched to 2 smaller nearby pieces to finish the day and ended up with 5 plus 1 easy miss. Again found birds in the perimeter, not the middle. Also got 2 sharp tailed grouse, which I was not at all expecting to see in our location. Quite a few hens again.

Day 3: Hunted private land somewhere within a 1-60 mile radius of the "Golden Triangle." Ended with 4, worst shooting performance I've ever had. Easily could have had our 6, or even 20 (if that was legal).

Overall takeaway: Birds are smart, lots of runners that the dog would work from short grass into the nearest cattails and we'd never see them. The birds know exactly how to escape and where to. That said, for all the runners there were plenty that held tight and almost got stepped on before they'd flush, or they'd flush within yards of us after we stopped moving and stood there for a bit. They really aren't bunched up and in thick cover, they were all in shorter cover with a food source nearby. Aside from one night in a cheap motel, I never saw another hunter. Never saw one driving the roads, at another piece of public land, anywhere.

Just got back from 3 day hunt in the Huron area. we worked VERY hard (mostly cattails) all three days, 15 guys and 6 dogs hunted 10am to 5pm shot 35 birds total. birds were either very jumpy or sat extremely tight hoping we'd walk past them. lots of hens which is good. I hunted west of Chamberlain in early Nov. and a friend of mine hunted there 2 weekends ago and he said there were still plenty of birds. if you download the sdfg map I believe you will find several WIA out to the west and steel shot (Red areas on the map) along the Missouri River near Chamberlain.

Good to hear, much appreciated 👍 I wish I just lived about 4 hours closer, it would make my decision whether to visit again much easier 😂

The reason I say that is because I drove out from Pennsylvania early season with my Llewellyn by myself saw nothing the first day then got into some birds but it was SOUTH DAKOTA and that ain't Pennsylvania put and take.
Had a blast.

Just got back from 3 day hunt in the Huron area. we worked VERY hard (mostly cattails) all three days, 15 guys and 6 dogs hunted 10am to 5pm shot 35 birds total. birds were either very jumpy or sat extremely tight hoping we'd walk past them. lots of hens which is good. I hunted west of Chamberlain in early Nov. and a friend of mine hunted there 2 weekends ago and he said there were still plenty of birds. if you download the sdfg map I believe you will find several WIA out to the west and steel shot (Red areas on the map) along the Missouri River near Chamberlain.
probably saw you parked in a public area the other day...railroad tracks bifurcated the piece you may have been hunting...a second truck from out of state was near yours...

just returned from most recent trip...hunted for 9 days...no snow!! dry feet!!! bliss! hunting was varied, depending...80% private...mostly hunted with one other guy, though I did have 2 other guys for 2 of the days...normally got our limit...one day we did not, it got a bit hot and we kind of took it easy...one of my dogs has some arthritis in her left front shoulder, and I gave her a few days off...the highlight of the trip was the dog work! had some great points, some great retrieves, etc...with my 5.5 year old getting some rest, I hunted my 1.5 year old a great deal by herself...it was awesome! She has been overshadowed by the other dog all along to a great degree....to the best of my recollection we killed 45 birds...some spots were a bit barren of birds, some surprised to the upside....found some new public ground that really sparkled! Fun to hunt new ground...

with my 5.5 year old getting some rest, I hunted my 1.5 year old a great deal by herself...it was awesome! She has been overshadowed by the other dog all along to a great degree
I've found my 1.5 year old also does alot better by herself compared to hunting with my 9 year old too.

Back