Ever see a bird this fat?

nstric

Just Gunner and me this afternoon as I couldn't find a hunting buddy.

We managed our three roosters in short order, even with the wind having most of the birds on edge. Corn was still in to the south, but we saw good numbers. Nearly 40 birds in all, in about a 30 minute walk. Hens, hens, and more hens!

One old bird, easily the oldest I've taken this season, and the other two were this year's hatch.

Check out how FAT this guy was!

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A4%3B6%3Dot%3E2333%3D%3C54%3D%3A%3A7%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B%3B857398247ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv83%3B8%3Dot%3E2333%3D%3C54%3D%3A%3A7%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B%3B859967247ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9567%3Dot%3E2333%3D%3C54%3D%3A%3A7%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B%3B84%3A783247ot1lsi

That is one fat bird Nate! I was thinking the same thing with that tail feather, how long was it? And, what a great pic of Gunner with those birds and that long tail feather up by his head. That is a calendar picture.

Agree

Hello All,

I agree with IA at Heart! That second photo is a classic of birds and gunner!:)

I also have shot many birds with that amount of fat. Trim it off--it does not taste good or seasons the bird in a favorable manner.

I have been enjoying the fall harvest--of roosters--as well but have been connecting on many immature birds. Yesterday's trio were very young. If we get measurable snow on Monday I do wonder if these would make it??

I always enjoy your pics, Nate...

Gunner makes me laugh. Does he even have any eyes? I don't remember many pictures where they are open.

I am getting good ready to head out towards the the area around Des Moines and then further south and west as soon as my son's HS football ends.

I encouraged by all the reports.

Ha! Gunner and his eyes . . . I know.

I give the "easy" command to him when readying for the photo and it seems to put him in a state of hypnosis. As soon as "okay" is given, he's back to bouncing around, ears and tail up, etc. "Truck ride!" used to work to perk him up, but he's wised as he's aged! :)

Trimmed the fat . . . check. Everything is soaking in my water/milk mixture now.

Tail feather . . . have yet to measure, but will post this morning's hunt. I'm headed out at 8:30, for a one/two field hunt before travel with the family for my oldest son's soccer tournament.

Kraig . . . I'll be sure to share pics! :)

As I sit here and wait for the contractor to arrive, I am bummed I could not join you. No wind, crisp morning.....it looks perfect out there and I really am "Jonesing" to see Gunner work again! Enjoy your morning and your soccer tourney.......kp

Great job Nate!

I had a bird like that last year and he is at the taxidermist now. He was like a small thanksgiving turkey! Probably the only reason I was able to connect with him, cuz he took off like a 747!

I maybe way off but knowing how big Gunner is and looking at that feather, I am going to say 26". That first picture makes it look longer than the 2nd picture.

Surprised you had so much wind. It was not bad at all down here, especially early.

Back