Enough grain storage

Crossing shot

Birds doing well over a large area. That means crops are doing well. Couple years ago one of my favorite places had standing corn into January.

Is there enough storage space for the new crop?

Interesting question. I saw a field of corn standing into spring this year in MN. Saw him combining it this spring too.

Corn stands well over winter.

Assuming the forecast for record crop holds true then I suspect there will not be. Backlog last few years has been a problem but the rail lines have freed up since the oil boom has kinda busted.

seeing a lot of corn being cut for silage. wonder if that is due to the low prices and large harvest predictions.

Some of the silage cutting is from hail damage from July storms. Corn took a beating as well as the pheasant chicks thus the low roadside counts in some areas.

A lot is going to stay standing as prices are low and drying gas high. easier to leave in the field than store it.

I've been seeing quite a bit of corn cut in SE SD. Some of it around here was hurt by a hot and dry middle of the summer. I'm not sure SD will have huge yields in some areas of the state.
The beans around here are a little behind but are looking good so that might push back the corn harvest.

Tim

$3 corn will be left to dry in field longer than $5 corn, but for the most part, any corn you see standing in Dec is due to inability to get it out rather than "storing" corn in the field. Too much risk of quality deterioration.

Non traditional storage, ie bags, bunkers, hoop barns, will enable industry to handle the crop. As point of reference on how quickly storage can go up, over past couple of months, one KS Coop put in ten 1 million bu bunkers for this years corn crop. This was necessitated by a record KS wheat crop, of which much is still in storage.

As mentioned earlier, unlike past couple of harvests, both western railroads are current on rail orders, huge export programs for beans and corn, there's always local logistical issues, but there are plenty of homes for this year crop.
More than you wanted to know...

Actually, darn good info. We hunters sometimes oversimplify and don't see into all the markets and issues that can affect our hunting. You are right in that the record wheat crop might affect storage more than corn itself.

The other thought I had is you never see corn left standing in SD very long. If they can get it out they take it out. Probably because they know one of them big ole blizzards can take the crop in one way or another.

Now the cattle prices are plunging too. That ain't supposed to happen.

$3 corn will be left to dry in field longer than $5 corn, but for the most part, any corn you see standing in Dec is due to inability to get it out rather than "storing" corn in the field. Too much risk of quality deterioration.

Non traditional storage, ie bags, bunkers, hoop barns, will enable industry to handle the crop. As point of reference on how quickly storage can go up, over past couple of months, one KS Coop put in ten 1 million bu bunkers for this years corn crop. This was necessitated by a record KS wheat crop, of which much is still in storage.

As mentioned earlier, unlike past couple of harvests, both western railroads are current on rail orders, huge export programs for beans and corn, there's always local logistical issues, but there are plenty of homes for this year crop.
More than you wanted to know...

I've been seeing quite a bit of corn cut in SE SD. Some of it around here was hurt by a hot and dry middle of the summer. I'm not sure SD will have huge yields in some areas of the state.
The beans around here are a little behind but are looking good so that might push back the corn harvest.

Tim

A friend is just back from southcentral SD and says the corn crop there suffered from heat and lack of rain this year. Saw a lot of waist-chest high corn.

Back