Ending the season well

I took off Friday and some friends and I went out to celebrate the end of the season. The forecast made me think the whole trip was going to be a disaster. 60 degrees and sunny is what the weatherman was saying. Boy was I wrong. :) We had probably the best 3 day hunt I have ever had.

Friday: the weather turned out to be quite warm, but a 35mph steady wind makes it hard for the pheasants to know you are coming. The shooting was tough in the wind, but we saw enough birds that we looked ok at the end of the day.

Saturday: wind switched to 15 mph out of the south, still warm but cooler than Friday. Very challenging hunting conditions. We saw plenty of birds, but few of them were in range.

Sunday: Weather was similar to Saturday except with north wind. We hunt a field that had not been hunted all season. Dog work was fantastic, birds held well, we shot well, the only problem... These roosters seemed to be wearing bullet proof vests! People always talk about tough old late season roosters. I have never seen birds like this. We were all shooting Kent fast lead #4's. Nearly every bird we shot was still alive when we picked them up. In fact when we went to clean them hours after we shot the last rooster one was still alive in the back of the truck :eek: one of the stranger parts of the day was our first covey of quail. In the middle of a half section of CRP was a small hedge tree. When we got about 20yds from it the tree exploded with Quail. The whole covey had been sitting in the tree. I have never come a crossed a covey resting in a tree before. Quite a shock. I had a bigger shock coming very soon. One dog went on point in front of me, close to where I had seen a single go down. I kicked around a bit and the bird did not flush. I looked at the dog, the dog assured me it was there. Single quail can be challenging to coax out of thick grass. So I really started stomping around. Then I stomped on the skunk the dog had pointed:eek: what a terrible experience!

Over 3 days we got 58 roosters and 13 quail. Everyone had a great time. I can't wait for next year.

Last edited:
Wow , some of the best I have heard of anyone doing in Kansas since the drought , glad to know your hunting area is recovering nicely .

Thanks for sharing the story and sorry to hear about the skunk

Did you cool him off to the outside air tempature ?

Your final 3 days of the season beats my whole season. :laugh: Sounds like a great trip. If not for a few big flushes at the end of this season I don't think I would have even SEEN 58 roosters this year. Thanks for posting your story and pics. Sorry about the skunk encounter. They really stink. :cool:

Wow , some of the best I have heard of anyone doing in Kansas since the drought , glad to know your hunting area is recovering nicely .

Thanks for sharing the story and sorry to hear about the skunk

Did you cool him off to the outside air tempature ?

We cooled off a couple coyotes and a skunk.

Back