end of a season

BrownDogsCan2

When my daughter was little, she received a puppy one Christmas. Over the holidays they ran around together. We began to call the pup, Cora's little sister.
Although I don't believe Sister has seen her last hunt, Cora has grown up.

Last night I decided I would bring Sister along today, but later had pretty much decided against it. This morning while I was getting around, Sister decided she really would like to go! With Chip in the kennel and Sister in the cab we headed out to the spot I had in mind.

We pulled past the field this morning, leaving Chip in the truck. With Sister at heal, I duckwalked my way in . My hope was to make range before the birds had made us. Coming up empty in the first field, we crossed the road. hen, hen, Rooster, but out of range. Working our way deeper into the bowl , another hen.
Then at the end of the depression Sister got birdy again. I could hear the bird racing through the grass behind us. He had made it through.

With a quick rush, a mighty flush.:D Two shells and an anchor. Nice mark, short track, a fine retrieve.

We worked out the field. No shot, another in range. No matter, we came for the company. It was enough.

DSCN3110_01.jpg

Great post and a great pic! Thanks for posting, looks like a wonderful outing.

retrieve

good deal. looks like you found a field with plenty of cover, for most of us that has been as hard to find as a bird

cheers

Nice pic, nothing like a good patch of weeds to hold birds.:thumbsup:

Something about the outings, when you know time is short, just fixes them in our memories better.

Maybe it is that short rations taste more delicious.

Thank you.

That's great:thumbsup: Love the photo;)

Sounds like a great hunt. Your dog looked very proud with that bird in his mouth. There is a great satisfaction in outwitting those crafty bastards this late in the year, especially when there is only a few around

She's a chesapeake. Past her prime. She has spent a couple hundred days in a duck blind. As a result Deaf. Funny on Thurs. she got turned around. Ended up hunting some ground we already covered. It took about ten minutes to get her attention and back to going in the right direction.:)

Back