Elk pedestal mounts?

goldenboy

Going Elk hunting this fall and thinking I have a pretty good chance at shooting a 300" plus bull. If I do I want to get it mounted.I don't have real high ceilings in my house, we do have cathedral but not really tall. Anybody ever done a pedestal mount? Got any pictures? Is the cost significantly more? Any clues or advise would really help! Or what is the minimum height needed to do a shoulder mount if it was looking down?

pedestal mounts look cool. i was going to have a caribou done that way if i shot a large one. . shot an average bull and ended up wall mounting it. i'll check with taxidermist to see what cost is.

Goldenboy, I am sure you could get one in the 4-5 foot range with the sneak position or head down to the side and bugling. Mine is like 6 feet from brisket to top of highest horn. Cost was 785 which is pretty good. You could spend over a grand pretty easy depending on who you use! Where are you headed?:cheers:

Goldenboy, I am sure you could get one in the 4-5 foot range with the sneak position or head down to the side and bugling. Mine is like 6 feet from brisket to top of highest horn. Cost was 785 which is pretty good. You could spend over a grand pretty easy depending on who you use! Where are you headed?:cheers:

Bleu, I am going to Wyoming I will be just north of Jackson close to the Tetons and Yellowstone. 6' from brisket to highest horn, okay what size bull was that? As far as inches roughly?

Bleu, I am going to Wyoming I will be just north of Jackson close to the Tetons and Yellowstone. 6' from brisket to highest horn, okay what size bull was that? As far as inches roughly?

345". The form was the largest we could order and we thought he was going to have to alter it because the face and head were a little larger then the form after taking measurements. You have a great trip. They don't come along very often. What are you shootin' ?:cheers:

I will be shooting a 300 WSM. Here is another question for you. What bullet would you recommend? I have shot a muley in Montana at 303 yards with this gun and it performed well. But an elk is bigger and I am doing a little research to find the right bullet to do the job, preferably out to about 400 yards if need be.

I love the Barnes! They have the new LRX which have a better coefficient. I am switching to the 200 gr. LRX instead of the 180 TSX as it will give me a little better performance. Shooting 100 feet slower , I will be 2" higher at 600 yds because the coefficient is that much better. 20 more gr. of weight will sure be nice as well. I shoot a 30 cal as well. 30-378. Do not use any ballistic tip. Make sure it is well constructed. Solid copper or a bonded core for sure.:cheers:

You know you'll be 30 minutes from me GB. Good luck!
Ask your guide what bullets he would recommend. Who is your guide, and where exactly is his camp? I may know of them.
Man, you are heading into Grizzly and wolf "central". Bring your camera!

JD I will be hunting with BJ Hill. He owns Swift Creek outfitters. I have had conversations with him about grizzly and wolves. I have also had some conversations with his reference list. I love those views of the Tetons and I am really fired up about making this trip. I booked it over a year ago and I have been dreaming and planning since then!

Good luck, goldenboy. I took a nice moose in that area of Wyoming about 12 years ago. I assume you are going to be using factory ammo. Since I quit reloading I've used mostly Winchester ammo in both my .270 Win. and my .338 Win. Mag. Take a look at the XP3 and the E-Tip. Federal also has some very good choices for you with the Trophy Copper and the Fusion. And don't over look the Nosler Partition that Federal also loads.

I haven't been a huge fan of the solid copper bullets as I worry that they won't expand enough. You want penetration but you also need to have adequate expansion.

Your .300 WSM is plenty of rifle for elk. Just make sure you buy a well constructed bullet. I'd get either the 165 gr. or 180 gr., but would probably lean toward the 180. I've shot quite a few elk with both my .270 Win. and my .338 Win. Mag. The .270 Win. put them down just as well as the 338. In fact the biggest 6x6 elk I shot was with my .270 Win. and handloads using 150 Nosler Partitions.

Dakota and JS driggs,

Thanks for the info. Driggs you must be close to the park but just inside of Idaho? What is the best way for this flatlander to get into shape for the mountains? I will be spending a lot of time in the saddle, but need to be in shape a little as well, but the altitude always gets me breathing hard.
Dakota, have you ever hunted in Wyoming where I am going?

I have not been in the same area where you will be. When I moose hunted I was south of Jackson. Closer to Afton.

As far as conditioning I would start getting in shape now. I'd do a lot of cardio plus some strength training. Depending on the condition of your knees I work on a stair stepper or eliptical. But get that heart rate up and maintain it for 30 min. If you are not much of a horseman I'd be doing some riding before going. I'm sure your outfitter can provide you with all the info you will need. But if you are well conditioned you will enjoy it a lot more. Lots of different equipment and clothing you can bring but the most important item is your boots. Sore feet will spoil any hunt.

What time of the year are you going?

I also shoot a 30-378 Wby Magnum. The 180gr Barns "X" is pretty much the only bullet I put my trust in. It has yet to fail me. I shot a 338 Win Magnum for a number of years. Before Barns ever made the all copper "X" bullet. I shot 250gr Nosler Partition or Sierra BT Game King for long range work.

The Barns always has expended well, and in nearly every case they exited the off side even breaking both shoulders. Heck of a bullet IMO.

I have not been in the same area where you will be. When I moose hunted I was south of Jackson. Closer to Afton.

As far as conditioning I would start getting in shape now. I'd do a lot of cardio plus some strength training. Depending on the condition of your knees I work on a stair stepper or eliptical. But get that heart rate up and maintain it for 30 min. If you are not much of a horseman I'd be doing some riding before going. I'm sure your outfitter can provide you with all the info you will need. But if you are well conditioned you will enjoy it a lot more. Lots of different equipment and clothing you can bring but the most important item is your boots. Sore feet will spoil any hunt.

What time of the year are you going?

Dakota,

I am going the 3rd through the 10th of Oct. They tell me the bulls will still be bugling a little but it seems to mostly be get up early. Get up the hill early and wait to see where they move to.

Dakota,

I am going the 3rd through the 10th of Oct. They tell me the bulls will still be bugling a little but it seems to mostly be get up early. Get up the hill early and wait to see where they move to.

I've hunted elk mainly in Colorado and it's not unusual to hear bulls bugling in early November. They may not come to a call like they will earlier in the fall but it's an excellent way to locate them. For me, cow calls work better later in the fall.

Back