Elk Hunting check list

goldenboy

I am so pumped! I am going elk hunting this fall and I am going crazy trying to figure out what to pack, what to bring, what to leave at home. My question is for those of you that have hunted in the mountains, on horseback. What do I absolutely need to bring for a successful hunt? I am looking for the little things that I might forget to bring that would be nice to have in the mountains. Anybody have a personal checklist?

toilet paper.

Never leave home without it...:cheers:

I'm jealous, but hopefully I will do a horseback hunt one day, or possibly a mule. For me, the most enjoyable part of hunting has always been the adventure, and I can't imagine a better adventure! Best of luck to you on your elk hunt!:thumbsup: Watch out for low tree branches.

This is from memory so I might have to update the list on occasion.

Gun
Ammo
Knife (a couple - 1 skinner)
Knife sharpener
Saw - for the ribs and pelvic bone, and possible for quartering
Rope
Compass or GPS
Backpack
Water bottles
Game bags - gets the ones for a whole deer and use 1 for each quarter.
Rain suit

Then there is the obvious clothing and boots. Weather in the mountains can change in an instant so be prepared. It might be hot or you might be bucking a foot of snow depending on when you are going.

As for clothing if it's cold I prefer wool. You need clothing that will breathe. Gor-Tex does not breathe, enough! Leave cotton clothing home. Once it's wet it's wet. I will wear jeans depending on the weather but I like wool pants. Wear wicking type under garments and sock liners. I really like the Worsterlon shirts from Cabelas. They are warm and dry fast if they get wet.

Dress in layers. It's cold in the AM and can get quite warm by afternoon.

Good binoculars and a spotting scope. Glassing is a big part of elk hunting and getting a headache from bad optics is not good.

don't know how much you ride a horse but if its not a lot some Bengay and heat pads might be a welcome addition.

I think the lists above look pretty good. I would change a few and add some items I did not see:
Compass AND GPS
Maps
Extra batteries for GPS
3 or 4 lighters
First Aid kit
Signal Mirror
Hatchet

I will catch hell for this, but.... a pair of pantie-hose or TIGHT fitting thin long underwear (to prevent raw spots on your thighs).

aside from Bengay and heat pads. trying to figure a few thinks that you might not think of.

wet wipes are a must
extra boot laces
piece of rope to use to tie elk legs up when field dressing
trash bags-double as meat bag or rain poncho if all else fails
lip balm
moleskin
baklava
pocket knife sharpener
toothpicks
bottle h20-gatorade
duct tape
hand sanitizer-mini bottle
scope cover
few ziplock bags-for license, wallet, extra gloves, etc. anything small want to keep dry
caplight

type o - spell check error. balaclava. a head cover for warmth. couldn't do without it on cold windy days. the med sweet treat huh? you may be onto something there uplandhntr. may be the next power bar.:laugh:

You may need a whole pack string!!!

Waterproof your boots and take a little with you.

firestarter

2 pair of gloves

Knives (sharp) I like a bunch because if you learn or know how to fillet an elk it is the quickest and keeps your hands clean and dry because you do not gut the animal. But you will go through 2-3 real quick because you are cutting hair.

Space blanket is so light weight and could be used for signal if need be.

Camera

Gorilla tape

First aid for sure and any meds you might need.

I always have some nitro with me just in case someone needs it. If you are in the back country, you will not make it down alive if a heart attack occurs !
This gives you or someone a chance.

I also carry some antibiotics. It really sucks getting something like a upper chest infection or other illness, especially when there is not much air anyway.

I think thing have been covered on here pretty much. Maybe some tablets for water purity or a filter bottle.

My gun and bullets are tops with t.p. next. :cheers:

You may need a whole pack string!!!

Waterproof your boots and take a little with you.

firestarter

2 pair of gloves

Knives (sharp) I like a bunch because if you learn or know how to fillet an elk it is the quickest and keeps your hands clean and dry because you do not gut the animal. But you will go through 2-3 real quick because you are cutting hair.

Space blanket is so light weight and could be used for signal if need be.

Camera

Gorilla tape

First aid for sure and any meds you might need.

I always have some nitro with me just in case someone needs it. If you are in the back country, you will not make it down alive if a heart attack occurs !
This gives you or someone a chance.

I also carry some antibiotics. It really sucks getting something like a upper chest infection or other illness, especially when there is not much air anyway.

I think thing have been covered on here pretty much. Maybe some tablets for water purity or a filter bottle.

My gun and bullets are tops with t.p. next. :cheers:

Yes bleu,

Good post. Topo maps or Gps, so you don't get lost. I carry more than I need. Better to have it and not need it, than not have it, and need it. Clothing is somthing you need think about. Every thing from light to butt ugly cold, you better have it.

Good luck.:)

Back