Earning Them Now...

Labs

With only a couple weeks left in the season and October weather continuing in western ND, we are earning every rooster. Went out Sunday, put on 4 miles or so. The Crew put up lots of hens but wild flushes were the rule for roosters. I mean a cough or crunching catttails was enough to wild flush birds a couple hundred yards away.

Still, the Crew managed to hold and flush one within 20 yards. I body hit it, it flew a good 200 yards then folded up & went down in chest high CRP. This is where the Crew really earns their keep. All saw the rooster fold but because of the height of the cover couldn't actually see the fall. True to his name (Northern Prairie's X Marks The Spot), Harley marked within about 20 yards, Jetta who is almost as good, marked within 30, but both were upwind of where I marked the bird. I just had to cast them downwind, in a few moments Harley delivered the rooster to hand.

Later in the morning we were hunting cattails and having no joy because of the wild flushing. Finally, Harley locks up over some knee high, fettuccine thick stuff on the edge of the cattails. Jetta and Boogie join him, locked up in a triangle over this spot. They aren't pointing labs so I know when I see this their nose is practically on a bird. I step in and start kicking the crud, all that happens is they start moving around slightly, telling me that whatever is in there is moving to avoid me. I figure a bird in the hand is worth one that won't flush, so I gave a command that I rarely do "fetch".

For those who don't run retrievers or force fetch their dog, the "F Word" is the most powerful command in the retriever world. It is the command taught during force fetch and it means "grab whatever is in front of your nose, right fetching now"! Once FF is finished, it is only used when a dog refuses a retrieve, or to initiate action in a situation like this.

In a flash, all three dive into that crud and Harley comes up with a rooster so small and young it looks like a hen. He delivers it to hand unharmed. Hell if I know guys, it was a unquestionably a rooster but so young I had to look close to find the beginnings of color.

I figured if he had made it to this point of the season and had the nerves of steel to sit tight while three labs and a hunter tried to get him to flush, he had earned a shot to make through winter. When I tossed him up and he flew away, you wouldn't believe the looks the Crew gave me.

That is what conservation is all about...

Last edited:
Nice! Earning is an understatement these days. In SD, the early harvest & nice weather have brought out more hunters than usual in the areas I hunt. And early on I think they were more successful than usual, primarily because of the harvest. So having seen more pressure & with the unusual weather, we've got about the toughest conditions I've seen. We need a significant snow bad to eliminate a few of their options.

And fettucinne!! I like that! I know exactly what you're talking about. The stuff I've always called "that thick, matted over crap on the edge of the cattails". Thanks for supplying the scientific name!

4:55pm Sunset. I left the house at 3:05pm with two excited dogs. I decided to go unconventional because it is that time of the year. I ran to one of the closest spots I have hunted in the past but was confident there hasn't been a ton of pressure. There is lots of big sloughs and such to walk but I choose to hump it out in the middle of the stubble fields making a bee-line for the little sloughs only some of us would be dumb enough to go to.

The first spot was more of a little draw about 200 yards, mostly mowed but one little basketball gym sized slough set in the middle. Sure enough the two dogs got up one rooster. I crippled it but Ellie saw it go sailing in to the thickets and grass. She spent about two minutes and came running back with rooster #1. I saw a lone tree about 300 yards farther west just over a knoll. I was confident enough that this was most likely another slough so we hoofed it over the knoll. There was another slough with the center all ice and about 20 yards of cattails around the edge. It was about a 15 minute walk around. We got to the far side and Ellie locked in again. This time another rooster flushed and I crippled it again. Luckily Ellie saw this one go into the cattails on the West edge and she sprinted towards it. After about a 100 yard chase through the cattails away from me, she came flying out into the stubble with rooster #2. Two okay shots and two bad-ass retrieves and me and the dogs quickly high-fived and finished out the short walk.

I knew to the south there was another slough and debated walking for it or heading to the pickup and driving over closer. I opted for the second as the slough was a good half-mile away and I would then have to walk back. The south edge had some thickets and grass on a hillside with the slough to the south. We walked the thickets with no luck and made a nearly complete circle around the slough. We got about 200 yards from where we started and I heard Ellie's collar start beeping in the strip of cattails. As I approached, rooster #3 got nervous and busted cover. I made a clean shot and Ellie made quick work of the retrieve. It was a fun late afternoon and I am glad I decided to forego some of my traditional honey holes and do something different. I was done by 4:30 and had some time to take some pictures.

IMG_0195.jpegIMG_0188.jpeg
IMG_0185.jpeg

Took the Wrecking Crew out after work this afternoon and dug a couple out of the cattails. Man, did they bust cover. They earned some wet food mixed into their dry chow tonight. Harley made two blind retrieves of the type that bring a tear of pride to a guy's eye. Lord, grant every hunter a Harley once in his lifetime...

Attachments

• Wreckingcrew12-14-20.jpg
    Wreckingcrew12-14-20.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
4:55pm Sunset. I left the house at 3:05pm with two excited dogs. I decided to go unconventional because it is that time of the year. I ran to one of the closest spots I have hunted in the past but was confident there hasn't been a ton of pressure. There is lots of big sloughs and such to walk but I choose to hump it out in the middle of the stubble fields making a bee-line for the little sloughs only some of us would be dumb enough to go to.

The first spot was more of a little draw about 200 yards, mostly mowed but one little basketball gym sized slough set in the middle. Sure enough the two dogs got up one rooster. I crippled it but Ellie saw it go sailing in to the thickets and grass. She spent about two minutes and came running back with rooster #1. I saw a lone tree about 300 yards farther west just over a knoll. I was confident enough that this was most likely another slough so we hoofed it over the knoll. There was another slough with the center all ice and about 20 yards of cattails around the edge. It was about a 15 minute walk around. We got to the far side and Ellie locked in again. This time another rooster flushed and I crippled it again. Luckily Ellie saw this one go into the cattails on the West edge and she sprinted towards it. After about a 100 yard chase through the cattails away from me, she came flying out into the stubble with rooster #2. Two okay shots and two bad-ass retrieves and me and the dogs quickly high-fived and finished out the short walk.

I knew to the south there was another slough and debated walking for it or heading to the pickup and driving over closer. I opted for the second as the slough was a good half-mile away and I would then have to walk back. The south edge had some thickets and grass on a hillside with the slough to the south. We walked the thickets with no luck and made a nearly complete circle around the slough. We got about 200 yards from where we started and I heard Ellie's collar start beeping in the strip of cattails. As I approached, rooster #3 got nervous and busted cover. I made a clean shot and Ellie made quick work of the retrieve. It was a fun late afternoon and I am glad I decided to forego some of my traditional honey holes and do something different. I was done by 4:30 and had some time to take some pictures.

View attachment 777View attachment 776
View attachment 774
ND I love the write up and really enjoyed the pictures , it paints a few pictures of a few out of the way pockets,of,cover I will be checking out .

View attachment 777View attachment 776
View attachment 774
Making me jealous haha I'm itching to get out this weekend on a quick trip to your neighbor in the south. It's been a few weeks since I got out. Can't come soon enough.

I was able to get out for a quick walk last night. Dark comes quickly. Went to a new area and found some more sloughs in wheat fields. My hour long effort yielded two more roosters. The picture of my puppy amused me and the second picture is where we got that bird. Don’t overlook anything at this time of year.
4B94CF40-D8FE-4EF2-857B-64788AC6FD66.jpeg4BA953D4-8863-4BD8-8841-69D7DF737661.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a birdy looking dog and a birdy looking slough. Good eye!

Back